The wonderful thing about the holiday season is bringing out those decorations and designing with new décor! This time of year allows you to get creative and festive no matter what size budget you have. Designing your home for the holidays can be stressful so here are a few tips on making the season bright.
1. Stay within budget: Set a budget if you are going to be entertaining this season and will be purchasing major holiday décor items. Remember to think ahead when possible and shop those after season markdowns or head to a Marshalls or Homegoods type store to get more bang for your buck!
2. Pick a theme to guide your design decisions such as a classic look of silver and gold. This will help you choose the proper accessories without fretting over pulling off the look you want to achieve.
3. Remember to vary textures, patterns, and scale of items to provide a balanced look. Too much of one particular element can drown out your design while alternating items enhances an aesthetically pleasing space.
4. Personalizing your approach: monograms look especially seasonal on your tree skirts and stockings by the fire place.
5. Don’t try to do everything in one day! Space out the activities you have planned so you can enjoy every magical moment.
These tips can also be applied when you are thinking about the overall design of any space. However, during this season you can add a bit more flare as these items will only be up around one month a year! You will be able to successfully accomplish the design of your holiday space with thought, attention to detail, and basic design principals. Cheers to all that sparkles and glitters!