Horror movies are fun to watch at any time of year, and during the holidays, there is no shortage of horror-themed films to choose from. Here are some of my top picks:
1. “Santa Slay” stars WCW/WWE wrestler and former Atlanta Falcon, Bill Goldberg as the serial killing Santa Claus. This B-horror film is a great one for some silly one-liners and goofy gore scenes that will provide a few laughs. This Christmas-themed horror flick also stars Robert Culp as the Grandfather who has a long-standing rivalry with demon Claus. Also, watch for cameos of Fran Drescher, James Caan, Chris Kattan and Rebecca Gayheart.
2. “Black Christmas” is another horror movie that takes place during the holidays. The first version of “Black Christmas” was released in 1974 and starred Margot Kidder, Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea and John Saxon. The “Black Christmas” remake was released in 2006 and starred young horror-movie hopefuls like Katie Cassidy, Michelle Trachtenberg, Lacey Chabert and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. The movie plot for the original and the remake is virtually the same – beautiful young girls are getting ready for the Christmas holiday at their sorority house and then the creepy phone calls start coming in. The twist, the calls are actually being made from inside the sorority house from a sadistic maniac. Both versions of “Black Christmas” will easily hold your attention, as will the methodical killing methods of the house’s hidden psychopath.
3. Christmas time is not complete without watching Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” This animated fantasy-horror movie tells the story of Jack Skellington, Halloween Town’s pumpkin king, and how he discovers the Christmas holiday and plans to take over Santa’s job. Voice actors include Chris Sarandon, Catherine O’Hara, Paul Reubens and Danny Elfman.
4. “Dead End” may not be a Christmas-themed horror movie, but it is a horror movie that takes place on Christmas Eve. A couple and their two kids are driving to a family member’s house for Christmas and decide to take a shortcut to get there faster. The road leads nowhere and the experience the family endures is something straight out of a “Twilight Zone” episode. This film is great for a lot of laughs, sarcastic humor and features some creepy characters no one would want to encounter in the middle of nowhere. “Dead End” stars Ray Wise, Lin Shaye, Alexandra Holden and Mick Cain.
5. Imagine it’s Christmas Eve and you’re trying to get done with work for the holidays, and you get stuck working late at the office. When you finally try to leave some deranged psycho starts chasing you in your building’s parking garage. This is definitely the “most dangerous time of the year!” That is a description of the movie “P2.” What’s worse, the psycho that’s after you and holding you hostage is the person that’s supposed to be protecting you. “P2” stars Rachel Nichols and Wes Bentley.