Only 8 shopping days left until Christmas (and 3 until Hanukah). What can you do for youself this season? Read on for 10 gifts you can give yourself for healthy body image and self-esteem.
1. Write yourself a holiday card, and be sure to say what you like about yourself. List 5 positive qualities that you have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. You can also include physical qualities. Repeat these to myself whenever you start to feel bad about your body.
2. Toss out your scale. Who needs it? Use your body’s intuitive wisdom about weight.
3. Go for a walk on Christmas or Hanukah morning.
4. Treat yourself to an activity you enjoy — like yoga or dancing — even if they call attention to your weight and shape. You deserve to do things you enjoy.
5. Buy an inspirational book. Affirmations are great. Check out some positive reads like Healing Your Hungry Heart or Weight Wisdom.
6. Surround yourself with people and things that make you feel good about yourself.
7. Exchange a back or foot rub with someone you love.
8. Buy yourself a beautiful new journal. Use it to reflect on what you are grateful for and wish to continue in the coming year.
9. Spend less and less time in front of mirrors—especially when they are making you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about your body.
10. Buy yourself something new that makes you feel really good , like a soft chenille sweater. Wear clothes that are comfortable and make you feel comfortable in your body.
Philadelphia eating disorder programs: