2011 was full of big stories! From nuclear reactors to unemployment to government, 2011 was one major headline after another. These headlines were not limited to the secular world. Christianity also saw its share of the front pages of newspapers across the globe. The top 10 Christian stories are as follows.
10. Reality TV. Evangelical pastor Ted Haggard, he of drug and sex scandals, announced that he would be participating in “Celebrity Wife Swap” with actor Gary Busey. (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20530368,00.html ) Not to be outdone, Joel Osteen announced that he would be hosting a reality TV where deserving people were given gifts or acts of kindness; compliments of show participants.
9. Westboro church pickets Elizabeth Edwards’ funeral. Elizabeth Edwards struggled with and through major health and marital challenges. Her passing was met with sympathy in most circles. In late December of 2010, Westboro church announced that it would be picketing her funeral. (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/09/westboro-baptist-church-says-it-will-picket-elizabeth-edwards-funeral/ ) The church, one of few churches with a publicized picket schedule, released a parody on the song “We are the World,” and picketed the funeral of Michael Jackson.
8. Kentucky church votes to exclude interracial couples from being members of their church. (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/kentucky-church-bans-interracial-marriage-150009470.html ) The official statement from the church said that inter-racial couples would not be permitted to join or to worship at the church. Inter-racial couples could attend funerals.
7. Catholic priests. It is a story that just won’t go away! What’s worse? Abuse cases involving priests are on the rise. (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/04/11/Catholic-priest-abuse-cases-rise/UPI-14771302548591/)
6. Preacher announces the exact date the world will end. Harold Camping announced to anyone that would listen that the world would end on May 21. (http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-03-23-prophet_22_ST_N.htm ) Camping, who is not ordained at any church, has been on radio for almost 60 years. Camping does not claim to have heard from God, but says that his prediction is taken directly from the bible. Camping made the same prediction in 1994.
5. Harold Camping predicts the world will end. Camping announced that October 21 would be the “real” date that the world would end. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/california_preacher_predicts_world_jR0tb6MO5SxMn2Z8lPxvZP Not sure what happened to the original date.
4. Bishop Eddie Long settles out of court. Prominent Atlanta Pastor Eddie Long reached an out of court settlement with a group of young men who accused him of sexual abuse. (http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/26/bishop-eddie-long-settles-with-accusers/ ) It is believed that the settlement amount was $25 million dollars. Long’s wife would later file for divorce.
3. Tim Tebow. At a time when the world and sports world needed to see that being a true Christian is still “okay,” along came Tim Tebow. (http://www.timtebow.com/ ) He was not afraid to bow down and pray. To date, he is still praising God.
2. The return of witnessing. In an effort to raise awareness about the health and safety of African American children, an activist group called “Life Always,” took to good old fashioned witnessing. (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=the+most+dangerous+place+for+an+african-american+is+in+the+womb&gbv=2&oq=the+most+dangerous+place+for&aq=0&aqi=g4g-v4g-j2&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1796l27312l0l30906l32l32l0l6l6l1l1172l4749l6-3.2l5l0&oi=image_result_group&sa=X ) Their tactic: a billboard, a picture of a child; and a message. Scripture not included
1. The Bible. Still true; after all of these years!
What do you think should be on my list?
Email me: email@example.com