Silverwalk Beagle and Hound Sanctuary, Inc. is a small, non-profit, pet rescue that’s located just outside of Jackson, Mo.
Silverwalk fosters and re-homes hounds and senior pets. It’s been the temporary home to dozens of Beagles, Bassett Hounds, Coon Hounds, Foxhounds and various other type hounds over the years.
Current population at Silverwalk is 14.
While that may not seem like an astronomical number for an animal rescue population, one should take into consideration that Silverwalk Beagle and Hound Sanctuary is not the typical pet rescue. It is not a facility. It is not a kennel. It is a home; a real home, where pets have free roam of not only the household, but the fenced yard and field as well. It’s a place where these hounds can lay their head until someone comes along that just can’t live without them. It’s a place where residency has no time limit. Silverwalk is a no kill rescue.
Owned and operated by Roberta “Bobby” Beach, it’s a one woman operation with a lot of heart and many successful adoptions under its belt. Working with area shelters and residents Bobby is able to rescue and re-home many pets that would not otherwise have much of a shot at finding a happily ever after.
Hounds and senior pets come to Silverwalk by way of abandonment, rescues from shelter, and even families in need of re-homing their pets. Bobby could write a book about all the circumstances that have brought animals into her care.
Once hounds have arrived at Silverwalk Beagle and Hound Sanctuary, Inc., each animal sees a veterinarian for a physical, is brought up to date with vaccinations, and eventually spayed or neutered. Any health issues are taken care of promptly as they arise. Good health is top priority.
During their time at Silverwalk all residents are taught basic obedience and given lots and lots of tender loving care.
To Bobby Beach, these aren’t just rescued dogs, they’re her family, and they are treated as such. And when you adopt a hound from her, she’ll expect you to treat them the same.
Silverwalk’s Mission is as quoted from their website:
The mission of [Silverwalk Hounds] is:
- To foster, re-home and rescue primarily Beagles, other hounds and senior dogs; other types and ages on an as need/as able basis.
- To collaborate with other rescue/shelter operations both local and national i.e. Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary, Humane Society of Southeast Missouri and Beagles-on-the-Web.com.
- To enhance the education of the public re: the need & rationale for spaying/neutering, training, general good pet management, adoption in the home and community with an emphasis on dogs and potentially horses.
- To work with local entities beyond rescue/shelter including Petco, Pet Pals, CGC titling, and Busch Pet Products to enhance the adoption of our dogs through adoption days and community education, to utilize them as service dogs in local communities or as needed perhaps by USDA (contact is in progress re: the use of Beagles), and to present our dogs as trainable and desirable for adoption into homes for a very, very long time.
- To be financially sound and fiscally responsible in order to continue the mission of [Silverwalk Hounds].
Please make sure that you view the slideshow to see the beautiful hounds available for adoption through Silverwalk Beagle and Hound Sanctuary, Inc.
Click here to see Petfinder listings on each of the 14 residents of Silverwalk.
To check out Silverwalk Beagle and Hound Sanctuary, Inc. online, see their website, or “Like” them on Facebook. They also have a delightful blog containing images and humorous writings about the daily goings on at Silverwalk.
Keep up the good work Bobby!