FORT WAYNE, Indiana (Isabelle Zehnder reporting) — Officials are working to determine if a man suspected of killing and dismembering a 9-year-old Indiana girl two days before Christmas could be linked to similar crimes across the country.
Investigators said they’re concerned that Michael Plumadore, 39, may have killed before due to the brutality of his crime and his apparent lack of remorse when he described Aliahna Lemmon’s slaying to detectives, ABC’s RTV6 reports.
Plumadore was allegedly a friend and neighbor of Aliahna’s family. He was entrusted to care for her and her two younger sisters, ages 6 and 8, for about a week while their mother, Amber Story, allegedly recovered from the flu. It is uncertain if her illness is why she was seen in a wheelchair this week.
Allen County Sheriff Ken Fries said during a press conference, “He’s not from this area. He’s lived in many different states, so our detectives will contact these other agencies. We had the FBI in early, so they can start looking at that also.”
Former FBI Profiler Steve McVey said, “I would have a hard time believing that this is the first time that he’s done anything like this. The jump from petty crime to butchering homicide, I can’t go with this being the first time.”
Police say Plumadore admitted he killed Alihana by repeatedly hiting her head with a brick while they stood on his front porch. He said he initially put her body in trash bags that he stored in his freezer. He later took a hacksaw and dismembered her body, placing her remains in individual freezer bags.
He told police most of her remains could be found in a nearby dumpster and that her head, hands, and feet could be found in his freezer.
After his confession, Allen County Sheriff Ken Fries said that Plumadore was the “monster that walked among us.”
Slideshow: View more photos in Aliahna’s case including those who prayed for her and those who searched for her.
For more on this story read:
- Prosecutors charge male babysitter, 39, in brutal slaying of Aliahna Lemmon, 9
- Aliahna Lemmon: Detectives stone-faced as they listen to Mike Plumadore confess
- Aliahna Lemmon: Missing Indiana girl found dead, neighbor charged in her murder
- Babysitter admits he dismembered IN girl’s body; put head, feet, hand in his freezer
- Timeline surrounding 9-year-old’s disappearance and murder
- Aliahna Lemmon’s sisters left alone with her murderer, not medically examined
Follow this National Missing Persons news writer:
- Click on SUBSCRIBE link above for instant updates
- Visit my Blog
- Follow me on Facebook
- Follow me on Twitter