Figure skating and overused music go together – the most avid figure skating fans will recognize some pieces of music from the first note. We’ve seen music come and go, but some pieces stand the test of axel and salchow time. I’ve been compiling a list of the most overused music of the season based on the Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, and national championships that have happened this season. And the overused music winner this season is … Concerto de Aranjuez.
Twitter @examinerskating | Facebook
As far as I can remember, Concerto de Aranjuez (and a more recent interpretation of it by Ikuko Kawai called Aranjuez) has a fairly recent history of overuse in figure skating, probably most famously used by Michelle Kwan in the 2002-2003 season. Takeshi Honda also skated to it for a couple of seasons. Kwan skated to Kawai’s more fast-paced version and Honda used the original. This season, six skaters/teams are using the piece, including Patrick Chan, who skates to it for his free skate.
And before skating fans start telling me about all the novice and intermediate level skaters who are using such-and-such music, this compilation is, by no means, a exhaustedly comprehensive one. But it does encompass pretty much all of the senior international level and a good bit of the junior international level as well.
Perhaps most surprising on this list is The Untouchables, which is used by five skaters (all singles). And as a result of the movie’s popularity and the reuse of the familiar tunes from Swan Lake, the Black Swan soundtrack is also pretty overused this season. But of course, there are plenty of old favorites, including some version of Romeo and Juliet, Phantom of the Opera, and Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2.
Personally, I’m kind of happy about the resurgence of Swan Lake via Black Swan. But perhaps it’s time to get rid of Requiem for a Dream and The Feeling Begins ….
What’s your favorite (or least favorite) piece of overused music? Sound off in the comments below.
- Concerto de Aranjuez – Patrick Chan, Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Huibo Dong/Yiming Wu, Bingwa Geng, David Wang, Sonia Lafuente
- Romeo and Juliet (any version) – Joshi Helgesson, Julia Lipnitskaia, Romain Ponsart, Katarina Kulgeyko, Nelli Zhiganshina/Alexander Gazsi
- The Untouchables – Michal Brezina, Ross Miner, Keiji Tanaka, Gracie Gold, Jay Yostanto
- Adios Nonino – Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, Denis Ten, Adriana DeSanctis, Douglas Razzano
- Black Swan – Ashley Wagner, Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov, Yretha Silete, Samantha Cesario
- Phantom of the Opera – Elene Gedevanishvili, Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Klara Kadlecova/Petr Bidar, Victoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin
- Piano Concerto No. 2 – Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Douglas Razzano, Miu Sato, Mary Beth Marley/Rockne Brubaker
- Bolero – Adelina Sotnikova, Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Alexander Majorov
- Clair De Lune – Yuko Kavaguti/Alexander Smirnov, Konstantin Menshov, Joshua Farris
- Dark Eyes – Julia Lipnitskaia, Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely, Tatsuki Machida
- The Feeling Begins – Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat, Kevin Van Der Perren, Daisuke Murakami
- La Vie en Rose – Alissa Czisny, Samuel Contesti, Tomas Verner
- Pirates of the Caribbean – Alena Leonova, Dong-Won Lee, Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin
- Requiem for a Dream – Alena Leonova, Xiaoyu Yu/Yang Jin, Nan Song
- Spartacus – Mirai Nagasu, Katherine Bobak/Ian Beharry, Mikhail Kolyada
- Tosca – Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov, Brittany Jones/Kurtis Gaskell, Lorenza Alessandrini/Simone Vaturi
- Austin Powers – Alexander Majorov, Maxim Kovtun
- Beetlejuice – Artur Dmitriev, Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers
- Besame Mucho – Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, Florent Amodio
- Daphnis et Chloe – Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig, Yasmin Siraj
- Die Fledermaus – Akiko Suzuki, Meryl Davis/Charlie White
- Don Quixote – Tatsuki Machida, Anna Shershak
- Dr. Zhivago – Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov, Ashley Cain/Joshua Reagan
- East of Eden – Rachael Flatt, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin
- Liebestraum – Mao Asada, Adelina Sotnikova
- Malaguena – Polina Agafonova, Sarah Hecken
- Man in the Iron Mask – Kevin Van Der Perren, Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers
- Otonal – Polina Korobeynikova, Gerli Liinamae
- Rhapsody in Blue – Agnes Zawadzki, He Zhang
- Rhapsody on a Theme – Cynthia Phaneuf, Vanessa Lam
- Tango de Roxanne – Evgeni Plushenko, Vanessa James/Morgan Cipres
- Turandot – Sofia Biryukova, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin
- Umbrellas of Cherbourg – Nobunari Oda, Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert
- Carmen – Brandon Mroz
- Carmina Burana – Tomas Verner
- Firebird – Rachael Flatt
- Piano Concerto No. 3 – Kexin Zhang
- Scheherazade – Mao Asada
- Swan Lake – Polina Korobeynikova
Follow Jackie for breaking news on Twitter or on Facebook. Keep up with the latest results and analyses of the Grand Prix Series and the upcoming national championships by subscribing for the latest news.
More Figure Skating Examiner news