The new year is almost here and Atlanta has plenty of events to offer, even if you aren’t planning on driving. Plus, MARTA is extending service hours on Dec. 31 so you can have plenty of time to celebrate after the clock strikes midnight and enjoy the other activities below.
The best bet for an easy MARTA destination on Friday night is the Atlanta Hawks game at Philips Arena. The Dome/Philips Arena MARTA station on the blue/green rail line is right next to the arena. Be sure to transfer to a Westbound train if you are coming from north or south of the city. Or for some laughs, check out The Family Feud Improvised at the Village Theatre comedy club, just two blocks from the King Memorial station. Exit the station and turn left on Decatur Street.
The city is packed with events on Saturday. Choose from:
- Chick-fil-A Parade outside the Peachtree Center MARTA station starting at 12:30 p.m.
- Chick-fil-A FanFest at the Georgia World Congress Center takes place next to the Dome/Philips Arena station starting at 2 p.m. (see directions).
- Chick-fil-A Bowl at the Georgia Dome. For easy access, the Dome/Philips Arena MARTA station has a direct entrance into the dome. Look for the signs pointing to the Georgia Dome after exiting the train.
- Peach Drop has all day activities outside the Five Points station including live music and a countdown at midnight.
- The Hyatt Regency is offering an all-inclusive party with an open bar at the Downtown Countdown. The hotel is connected to the Peachtree Center MARTA station via the Peachtree Center Mall.
- Cake is performing at the Fox Theatre. Exit at the North Avenue station and walk about a block (see walking directions).
- The Zach Brown Band is performing at Philips Arena. The arena is right next to the Dome/Philips Arena station on the blue/green rail line. Be sure to transfer to a Westbound train if you are coming from north or south of the city.
After all the holiday festivities, head down to the Georgia Dome on Sunday for the Falcons football game next to the Dome MARTA station. Or if you didn’t get enough celebration on Saturday night, Ra Sushi is having a NYE Remix event with sushi and drink specials. The restaurant is located a couple blocks from the Midtown station. From the station, turn right on 10th Street, left on Peachtree Street and left on 11th.
A reminder that New Years will be observed on Monday, Jan. 2 and MARTA will be running on Sunday schedules.