Regular bible study changes lives, but not without challenge. Sometimes the challenge to change comes like a gentle whisper and other times it stings. When you know what God wants you to do and don’t do it, and come up with an excuse, it isn’t anything God hasn’t heard before. Consider this list of bible excuses quotes. From these examples it is clear God sees through excuses. He desires obedience (1 Sam. 15:22).
Adam and Eve
The account of Adam and Eve’s fall in the Garden of Eden is ripe with excuses. In Genesis 2:11 God asks, “Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” (NASB)
Adam blames God, and blames Eve: In verse 12 Adam blames God in a roundabout way when he says, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree and I ate” (NASB). First he blames God for giving him Eve, and then he blames Eve because she gave him the fruit. Passing the buck is a form of excuse. What he needed to do is admit it was his choice, it was wrong, and repent.
Eve blames the serpent: In verse 13 Eve passes the buck by blaming the serpent for her actions. She too needed to accept responsibility for what she had done.
When God challenged Moses to go to Egypt and be his spokesperson (Gen. 4), Moses tried to tell God he was slow of speech…not an eloquent speaker. While this may have been true, these were not things God didn’t know. It did not mean God couldn’t use Moses. God creates us and knows the plans he has for us (Jer. 29:11). Moses’ objection is nothing more than an excuse.
List of bible excuses quotes
In Jesus’ parable of the dinner guests in Luke 14, we find a list of excuses people used to say they were too busy to accept the invitation.
- Luke 14:18: “I have bought a piece of land and I need to go out and look at it; please consider me excused” (NASB)
- Luke 14:19: I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out; please consider me excused” (NASB)
- Luke 14:20: I have married a wife, and for that reason I cannot come” (NASB)
Being too busy to do what God desires is another form of excuse. It’s a choice.
The following list of bible excuses quotes includes those mentioned above:
- “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree and I ate” Gen. 2:12 (NASB)
- “The serpent deceived me, and I ate” Gen. 2:13 (NASB)
- “Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue” Exodus 4:10 (NASB)
God isn’t looking for excuses
This is just a handful of excuses people have used, but through these examples we see that God isn’t looking for excuses. Excuses are an attempt to cover up disobedience. God desires a humble and contrite heart.
“Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you” (Acts 8:22) (NASB)