The Holiday season revs up at Charlotte restaurants with a wealth of wine dinners and other celebrations. Here’s the rundown on the Week Ahead, Monday, Nov. 28 through Sunday, Dec. 4.
Monday, Nov. 28:
- Get in shopping trim for the holidays with a Meatless Monday meal at Zink in the Village at SouthPark. The 3-course menu is designed by the chef around the freshest locally sourced ingredients. $20.
- Buy a Ballantyne Resort gift card on Cyber Monday and receive a $25 bonus card for every $100 purchased. Gift cards can be used for dining at Gallery Restaurant, spa and salon services, hotel accommodations and packages, golf, golf lessons by Dana Rader Golf School, and seasonal culinary events and meetings. Valid for online orders only.
Tuesday, Nov. 29:
- The new NoDa Brewing Company debuts with a tasting at Atherton Market in South End. 3-7 pm.
- Dressler’s Restaurant in the Metropolitan features the wines of Nickel & Nickel at a 6-course wine dinner. Vintages from sister wineries of Far Niente, Dolce, and Enroute will also be featured. Nickel & Nickel winery, located in the Napa Valley, is dedicated exclusively to producing 100 percent varietal, single vineyard wines that best express the distinct personality of each vineyard. Dinner begins at 6:30; $99/person. Reservations: 704-987-1779
Wednesday, Nov. 30:
- Villa Antonio on South Boulevard showcases Australian wines at a tasting from 6:30-8 pm. Sample 5 Australian wines, while enjoying an appetizer buffet and live entertainment. $20.
- Another Nickel & Nickel wine dinner, this one at the Fig Tree on 7th Street. Tom Gilhooly, Eastern Region Manager for the winery will speak. Chef Greg Zanitsch will pair the wines with a 5- course menu. See the complete menu here. (This is an additional date, as the Dec. 1 dinner sold out.) Featured wines will be available at a discount that evening. $90. Reservations: 704.332.3322.
Thursday, Dec. 1:
- Zebra Restaurant holds its annual Holiday Open House with tastings of a dozen wines accompanied by hors d’ouerves. Special prices on wines. 6-8 pm. Reservations required: 704-442-9525.
- Press in Founder’s Hall hosts its First Thursday of the Month Wine Tasting from 6-8 pm. Astoria, a gold-medal winning rose, is the featured wine. Live music by Andrew McElmurry; plus prizes. The event is free and reservations are not required.
Friday, Dec. 2:
- Upstream in Phillips Place pits the wines of Oregan vs. the wines of France at a Drouhin Domain vs. Joseph Drouhin Wine Dinner. The 5-course menu features Pistachio Crusted Rabbit Loin and Slow Smoked Magret Duck Breast. See the complete menu here. Cocktail reception starts at 6:30 pm. $95/per person. Reservations: 704-556-7730.
- Atherton Market sponsors a Holiday Market from 5-8 pm, with of vendors offering locally made art, crafts, and gift items, “adult beverage” tastings, and music by the Charlotte Waites. The Maki Taco food truck will provide eats. A Trolley Bus will stop here on its route around the South End Gallery Crawl.
- Duckworth’s Grill and Taphouse on Park Road plans a two-day event to celebrate the annual release of Event Horizon, an American Double / Imperial Stout from the Olde Hickory Brewery in Hickory, NC. A pre-tasting takes place on Friday beginning at 9 pm with $10 Sampler Paddles of Event Horizon and Olde Hickory’s Imperial Stout. On Saturday morning, the pub opens at 7 am for a breakfast followed by the bottle release at 8:30 am. First come, first serve. Call 704-527-5783 for more information.
Saturday, Dec. 3:
- Cooking class with Chef Gene featuring Mediterranean Christmas Classics at Blue Restaurant and Bar in the Hearst Tower. 11am-1pm $39.95 per person. 704.927.2583.
- The talented staff at Ballantyne Resort host two events today. The Gingerbread Cooking School features helpful tips for creating impressive gingerbread houses and other holiday favorites; 10:30am – 1:30pm; $75. Reservations required: 704.248.4100. The Wine Society Tasting at 6 pm features sparkling wines. RSVP to email@example.com.