Amish sugar cookies are on the top five list of must have Christmas cookies for the holiday season. Western New Yorkers searching for a soft and delicious sugar cookie recipe will find Amish sugar cookies fill all those requirements.
The Amish sugar cookie recipe is not for sugar cookie cut-outs, as it makes a soft dough. Amish sugar cookies should either be rolled in granulated sugar to give them a crackly exterior and a chewy interior, or they can be frosted and decorated with sprinkles and colored sugar.
This Amish sugar cookie recipe has been in our family for years, and we enjoy the delicious cookies each and every Christmas. Amish sugar cookies can easily be made vegan by substituting raw sugar, vegan powdered sugar, Earth Balance buttery sticks and Ener-G egg replacer.
Amish sugar cookie recipe
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar (or make your own powdered sugar)
- 1 cup (2 sticks = 8 ounces) butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- In large mixing bowl, cream together sugars, butter and oil. Blend in eggs one at a time until full incorporated. Blend in vanilla extract.
- In another large mixing bowl, blend dry ingredients together. On low speed with electric mixer, slowly blend dry ingredients into creamed ingredients, about 2 cups at a time. Turn out onto plastic wrap or waxed paper, wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- With floured hands, shape into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Flatten with the bottom of a chilled drinking glass or the palm of your hand. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake 350*F until edges are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Yield: approximately 3-1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.
Rachael’s recipe notes:
- I use a silcone baking mat, parchment paper or a wax paper on the cookie sheet. Spray the wax paper with nonstick cooking spray. This keeps the bottoms from burning or becoming too dark.
- I like to frost these cookies, so I use the palm of my hand to flatten slightly and skip the colored sugar before baking step. Once frosted you can decorate with holiday colored sugar or sprinkles.
Amish sugar cookie frosting recipe
- 4 ounces (1 stick = 1/2 cup) butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 6 to 8 Tbsp. milk
- Cream together butter and sugar, adding milk to thin out slightly.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Frosting should be a little thinner than the consistency of buttercream frosting for a cake.
Rachael’s recipe notes:
- This frosting recipe makes a lot of frosting, approximately 2 cups.
Want more holiday recipes, decorating ideas and celebration tips? Click the Get My Newsletter link, found at the bottom right of each of the Buffalo Family Holidays Examiner’s articles.
Follow Family Food Fun Holidays and Celebrations on Facebook
Follow Rachael on Twitter @By_Rachael
Email Rachael at email@example.com