For a festive Christmas cookie, only these minty peppermint bars will do. The bright colors and full flavors will make this the best Christmas cookie you have ever made. They make a perfect gift for teachers or coworkers!
Festive peppermint bars
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C) and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar. Beat in egg, peppermint extract and food coloring. Add flour and salt till well blended. Stir in 2/3 cup finely crushed candy.
- Spread evenly into greased pan. The dough will be sticky, so keep your hands coated with flour. The flour will disappear in baking, so it will not alter the color. Bake for 25 minutes or until firm.
- After removing from oven, immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Cover with a cookie sheet for 1 minute or until melted. Spread chocolate evenly and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coarsely chopped candy. Cool completely before cutting. NOTE: You can substitute plain chocolate bars. You’ll need 10 – 5/8 oz. bars.
Keep your baking supplies fresh and full! Raleigh has several great grocery stores to keep your staples well stocked:
Christmas cookies always have a way of adding Christmas cheer. Give this recipe for festive peppermint bars a try for a colorful minty treat!
© 2011 Amy Bittinger Kunkle, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a lodeplus.com
Please consider reading all my topics:
- Raleigh Food click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Etiquette click here to subscribe
- Raleigh TV click here to subscribe
- Raleigh Frugal Livingclick hereto subscribe
- National Contemporary Etiquette click here to subscribe
- National Women’s Health click here to subscribe
Do you have a passion for something that you would like to share? Why not write about it with lodeplus.com? Click here to link to lodeplus.com and start sharing your knowledge today.