If you’re on the hunt for a headache cure that doesn’t rely on over-the-counter medication, try these natural cures using self-massage and accupressure techniques from Dahn Yoga, an integrated mind-body training method. Illustrations for all the instructions below are in the attached slide show – so it may be easier to review the slides first.
Interested in Dahn Yoga? There are about 100 US centers, including some in Silicon Valley (and one in Santa Clara not far from Westfield Valley Fair Mall)
- Kneel. Sit on heels with toes pointing forward (see picture). This posture puts gentle pressure on the toes, which stimulates acupressure points associated with the sinuses, and it can further aid in relieving headache pain. Place hands on head with the fingers pointing upward and the thumbs on these acupressure points at the base of the skull.
- Inhale and tilt head to the left. Press the points and hold for seven seconds. Exhale. Bring head back to center. Repeat on the right side. Perform this exercise five times.
- Rub palms together quickly to create heat. Lower head, and use fingertips and palms to slowly squeeze and massage the back of neck until the area has become warm and relaxed.
- Roll head clockwise to the right and around to the left very slowly in a circular motion. Repeat in a counterclockwise circular motion.
- Cross left arm over chest and place hand on the trapezius muscle on the right side of upper back (see picture). Massage it slowly with fingertips. Then move hand down shoulder and arm, slowly massaging along the way. Repeat on the other side.
- (To find the accupressure point see picture) These acupressure points are located just below the knee, slightly to the outside of the shin bone, and in between the meeting point of the tibia and fibia bones.
- Sit on the floor with legs in front, feet shoulder width apart, and knees bent comfortably. Make a loose fist with each hand. Using the pinky side of fists, pat the acupressure points 100 times. Practitioners of Eastern Medicine believe that stimulation of these acupressure points enhances longevity. Patting these points aids in digestion while alleviating headaches, circulatory and other problems in the legs, as well as respiratory, cardiovascular and nasal conditions.