Wondering if your local bank is open on Monday, January 2, 2012? You’re not alone. Because New Year’s Day fell on a Sunday this year (when most banks are normally closed), New Year’s Day will be observed the day after New Year’s Day in 2012. Not surprisingly, many Rhode Islanders are wondering, “Are banks open on Monday, January 2nd, the day after New year’s Day?”
According to The New York Times, New Year’s Day is observed on Monday, January 2, 2012, which is also a bank holiday, so most, if not all banks are closed on January 2nd, They do however have the option to open or close, so better call first.
Post Office closed, not open day after New Years 2012: No mail delivery January 2
Here in the Providence, Rhode Island area, the following banks observe the day after New Year’s Day as a holiday, their lobby and drive-up windows are closed. These banks are are not open in Rhode Island on Monday, January 2, 2012.
Withdraw Your Day After New Year’s Day Money at the ATM
If you’re on your way to do some shopping at Walmart, Best Buy and Target for continued after Christmas sales, you can always withdraw money at your local ATM machine first. Most large grocery stores are open also, and you can usually find an ATM there as well.
Banks in the Providence, Rhode Island area will reopen again for normal business hours on Tuesday, January 3, 2012.
Partial List of Rhode Island Banks Closed the Day After New Year’s Day, January 2nd
- Citizens Bank will be closed on Monday, January 2nd in observance of New Year’s Day.
- Washington Trust’s Bank holiday schedule shows the bank is not open on January 2nd.
- Bank of America offices and banking centers will be closed Monday in observance of New Year’s Day.
- Sovereign Bank offices will be closed to observe the 2012 New Year’s Day holiday on January 2nd.
- Coastway Credit Union observes New Year’s Day as a bank holiday on Monday, January 2, 2012.
- Greenwood Credit Union’s holiday schedule reports the bank is closed Monday, January 2nd to observe New Year’s Day.
Sources: Citizens Bank, Washington Trust, Bank of America, Sovereign Bank, Coastway Credit Union, Greenwood Credit Union
Photo: www.sxc.hu; emsago