Store-bought tortilla chips can be packed with calories and artificial ingredients. You can bake up a batch of corn tortilla chips that taste better than anything you can buy in the store.
You can use flour or whole wheat tortillas, but corn tortillas tend to be less expensive. They are also less processed. You will find most brands of corn tortillas are made with just water, salt and cornmeal.
Look for packages of corn tortillas at stores that cater to the Hispanic population. You will generally find lower prices than you will at other supermarkets.
When baking the corn tortilla chips you may need to do so in two batches.
Baked corn tortilla chips
Ingredients for baked corn tortilla chips
- 18 corn tortillas, 6 to 8-inch round
- approximately 2 teaspoons salt
- non-stick cooking spray
How to make baked corn tortilla chips:
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- With a very sharp knife, cut each tortilla into 4 triangles.
- Spray 13×9-inch or larger baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place tortilla triangles in single layer on prepared baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake at 350*F for about 5 to 7 minutes until triangles are crispy. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM while baking to make sure they do not burn! They may need an extra minute or two, so watch them carefully.
- Remove from oven, serve warm or cooled with homemade salsa or guacamole. See suggested links to find recipes.
- Yield: 6 servings of approximately 12 chips each.