HOUSE FOODS AMERICA SETS A HEALTHIER HOLIDAY TABLE WITH TOFU
Eat Well Without the Gain and Celebrate Holidays with Tofu-Loving Po of DreamWorks Animation’s Kung Fu Panda 2
Avoiding fat and sugar is next to impossible during the holiday season: On average, Americans gain 7-12 pounds during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. House Foods America, tofu specialists since 1983, is helping families spice up the holidays by incorporating House Tofu into the holiday menu.
“Adding tofu to the holiday food repertoire is a great way to serve up variety and taste without the extra pounds,” said Yoko Difrancia, marketing supervisor at House Foods America Corporation. “High in protein, low in fat and carbohydrates, House Tofu lends itself to dozens of favorite holiday recipes and can even take on an entire holiday meal, from salad and main course to dessert.”
Earlier this year, House Foods first joined with DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. on a family-friendly promotional campaign in conjunction with the theatrical release of Kung Fu Panda 2, the #1 animated film of the year and the fourth highest-grossing movie at the worldwide box office for 2011. Phase 2 of the campaign kicks off just in time for the holidays and the film’s home entertainment release on Tuesday, December 13. The film, which features Po, the food-loving panda who grew up working in his family’s tofu and noodle shop, is a great way to introduce families and kids to tofu and its many health benefits throughout the holiday season.
Inspired by the world of Kung Fu Panda 2, the campaign’s microsite (www.kungfutofu2.com) features a sweepstakes to win a 3D TV Home Theater System, Tofupedia, cooking tips and recipes for the entire family. The campaign also includes outdoor ads on the New Jersey Lincoln Tunnel billboard, Manhattan Grayline buses, the San Francisco Bay Bridge and the Oakland/East Bay Highway 880. During fall and winter, House Foods is releasing limited-edition packaging of Kung Fu Panda 2 branded Premium Tofu, Organic Tofu, and Mabo Tofu Sauce mix.
Fitting House Tofu into the holiday festivities is easier than you think. House Tofu comes in a variety of firmness levels from soft (silken) to super firm, allowing for a range of flavors and dishes.
A few easy-to-make, Panda Warrior-approved, House Tofu holiday dishes include:
· Crane’s Creamy Tofu Potato Soup – This delicious soup is sure to keep you warm during the holidays.
· Dragon Warrior Turkey Tofu Meatballs – Deviate from a traditional turkey dish with this delicious variation.
· Tofu Pumpkin Pie of the Furious Five – A twist on the traditional pumpkin pie, this recipe takes full advantage of fall flavors.
About House Foods America
Tofu specialists since 1983, House Foods America Corporation (HFAC) is dedicated to bringing you the most affordable, highest quality and widest range of the freshest Tofu products. House Foods America uses only non-genetically modified (non-GMO) soybeans grown in North America and is committed to the environment with the use of solar power in its Garden Grove, California production facility. In a taste test conducted by the San Francisco Chronicle, House Foods Tofu was rated #1 and described as “creamy,” “tender” and “fresh-tasting”. Visit the www.house-foods.com and newly launched Facebook page to learn more.
Crane’s Creamy Tofu Potato Soup
1 (14 oz) House Foods Premium or Organic Soft tofu, drained & diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 medium potatoes, diced
1 box (32 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp thyme
1. Sauté onion, garlic, celery, carrots & salt in oil about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in potatoes, chicken broth and thyme.
3. Simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Add tofu and black pepper and purée.
Dragon Warrior Turkey Tofu Meatballs
1 (14oz) House Foods Premium or Organic Firm tofu, drained
1.25 lb lean ground turkey (93/7)
1 cup crisp rice square cereal, crushed finely
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp sage
1 can (14oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 cup barbeque sauce
1. In a blender, mix all the ingredients except turkey.
2. Combine tofu mix with ground turkey and roll into 2” balls and place on cookie sheet covered in foil.
3. Bake 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 28 balls.
4. Serve meatballs with Cranberry Sauce
5. Combine and microwave 3 minutes on high. Serve over meatballs.
Tofu Pumpkin Pie of the Furious Five
1 pkg (14 oz)House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Firm
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 can (16 oz) cooked pumpkin
1 prepared graham cracker pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. In a blender or food processor, add all ingredients and blend thoroughly.
3. Pour mixture into pie crust; bake in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes or until set.
4. Serve chilled.
Note cooking tips:
Remove moisture from Tofu by microwaving it for about a minute; pour off water and blot well with paper towel before using. Be careful, Tofu will be hot!