I believe we all have them family treasured recipes, you know the recipe that you have to dig out, dust off and run out and get something for it recipe. I like to go to IGA in Newton Falls for all my quick and last minute items. The dish’s that bring childhood back to reality.
Some of mine are Dads Chili that would burn a hole in the dish, Grandma’s broccoli and cheese, you know the one that makes the whole holiday worth all the fuss, and of course Mom’s Cheesecake.
Mom’s cheesecake was out of a magazine or cookbook from the 70’s but perfected by my mother so much she had a pan dedicated just for the cheesecake. I have played with all my recipes I never leave things alone when it comes to recipes I like to create perfect everything to my liking. But I tell you, you try one bite of this heavenly dessert you will soon realize it has been perfected many years ago.
Don’t let the many steps deter you from trying this one out, it might have a few steps and techniques but it is still simple at best. I myself dusted this recipe off for the holidays and one bite of it brought back so many childhood memories I am still in awe.
I might not be able to relay them memories where you can appreciate them but I can share this recipe with you so you to can enjoy this timeless dish and create new holiday memories with your loved ones. If you our looking for a light and fluffy dessert to round off a heavy menu plan this will fit perfect for you.
- 6 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin mix
- 2 cup boiling water
- 2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Mix well and press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Dissolve lemon gelatin in boiling water. Let cool until thick, but not set. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, white sugar and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip evaporated milk until thick and stiff peaks form. Pour in lemon gelatin and keep mixing until well blended. Fold in cream cheese mixture.
- Pour filling into crust. Chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
Foot Note: Very, Very Important: You must put in freezer at least one hour then use right away after taking out the following to assure perfect peak ness of milk. Beaters and metal or glass mixing bowl. Evaporated Milk.
If you enjoyed chef Michael’s article don’t miss the next one, just click below to follow his Newsletters and keep up to date with all of his article’s