“You Don’t Remember Days. You Remember Experiences.”
I read something similar on a brochure and that very true expression echoed in my head the entire time I was at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa in Wisconsin – just a little over an hour roadtrip from Chicago. The expansive property has proved to be the perfect winter escape for a family vacation. And it’s a wonderful experience that my family will never forget.
I decided last-minute that I wanted my 10-year-old son to learn how to ski. We had a few days during winter break to take a quick getaway and make that happen. My husband had to work so I decided to take my two sons, ages 10 and 13 away myself.
With active boys, our vacations need to be active as well. These guys need lots of activity – and we definitely found the right place! There was so much to choose from – including horseback riding, snow skiing, basketball at the fitness center and a massive indoor water park. I wouldn’t have to hear “I’m bored” once! Plus, with the convenient trolley on site, we never used our car once we parked at the resort.
By the end of the weekend (after getting my Starbucks fix each morning in the lobby’s cafe), I was even voted the “cool” mom. I admit I needed a bit of coaxing to go down a giant indoor waterslide – but happily cruised down the higher level ski slopes.
The Mountain Top at Grand Geneva is located on the campus of the AAA Four Diamond Grand Geneva Resort & Spa. One of Wisconsin’s premier ski and snowboarding destinations, the property boasts 18 trails on three hills, 10 kilometers of scenic trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing and a terrain park for snowboarding. In honor of the 2012 ski season, Grand Geneva and its sister property Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark have just unveiled new packages for this winter season.
In January, the snow sports team will take part in national “Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month” (LSSM), an initiative that encourages children and adults to take lessons from professional instructors and challenges current skiers and snowboarders to improve their skills with advanced classes.
Honestly, after one private one-hour lesson with Dave, my son was skiing right past the learner’s hill and up onto the chair lift for an afternoon of skiing. The instruction was unbelieveable and the conditions were just perfect for our family adventure.
Weekday Ski Specials
Visitors can take advantage of all the Mountain Top has to offer with special weekday promotions, including:
- Twenty Dollar Tuesdays: Travelers looking for a mid-week ski break can take advantage of this special that offers each family member a $20 lift ticket, $20 group lesson or $20 ski rental, saving guests $15 on the bundle of all three services over the weekend rate of $75.
- Half-Off Wednesdays: Guests receive special half-off pricing on all equipment rentals, from skis to snowboards.
- Two-for-One Thursdays: To coincide with LSSM, every Thursday in January, the Mountain Top will offer a special Two for One deal, when visitors can receive two lift tickets and two beginner group lessons for the price of one.
Reservations are required for lesson times at 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. For more information or to reserve a spot, please call the Ski School at 262. 245.7516.
After a day of instruction and snow, guests can extend their stay at the resort with the Stay and Ski Free package, featuring:
- Two tickets valid for one day of skiing or snowboarding at The Mountain Top
- Overnight accommodations in a newly renovated deluxe guest room
The Stay and Ski Free package is valid for Sunday through Thursday night stays, now through March 11, 2012. This package is not available on holidays or during holiday periods. Rates start at $159 per night, exclusive of resort fee and tax. Package is weather permitting.
Hit the Slopes with Family
The Mountain Top also offers a variety of programs for families looking for a structured lesson for their snow bunnies-in-training:
- Snow Cubs – A special club offered in January and February, designed to introduce children 4 – 6 years of age to a snow experience. Professionally trained instructors coach children within a group setting.
- Mountain Mites – This three-week program was created especially for children 6 – 14 years of age. Kids learn skills under the supervision of professionally trained instructors, using a specialized teaching system.
The fun continues at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, where families can experience two vacations in one with the Splash and Ski package, featuring:
- Overnight accommodations in a one-bedroom suite
- Four passes to Moose Mountain Falls Waterpark
- Four lift tickets for one day of skiing or snowboarding at The Mountain Top at Grand Geneva
- 50% off ski rentals for children 11 years and younger
We will certainly always remember our experiences at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa. It was truly unforgettable.
To reserve accommodations at Grand Geneva for your own family winter escape, call 800.558.3417 or visit www.GrandGeneva.com. For reservations at Timber Ridge Lodge, call 866.636.4502 or visit www.timberridgeresort.com.