Ermelinda Manos of Ermelinda Manos Designs is a fashion designer here in Las Vegas who specializes in women’s fashions and couture hand sewn garments. She has showcased her work at numerous fashion shows in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Here she answers the top questions for local designers & sewists so we can all get to know her better and so you can stay inspired. Enjoy!
- When did you start sewing?
Ever since I was a little girl I used to take my mom’s old clothes and make dresses for myself out of them.
- Did you receive any training and/or did you go to school for sewing?
My mom taught me how to sew by hand, since I was very young, and I learned more industry sewing when I went to Fashion Design School.
- How often do you sew each week?
I am constantly sewing, either for clients or for myself. My hair is in a bun, in my sweats, and I’m sewing away like a little old lady.
- Do you prefer hand or machine sewing?
I prefer hand sewing, because I have better control of the fabric and the stitching, and the finished look is more beautiful than machine sewing.
- Do you sketch ideas before you create them?
I sketch down all my ideas and pick my most favorite to actually sew, which most likely I end up picking everything.
- Do you prefer store bought patterns, making your own patterns or no patterns?
Making patterns isn’t my favorite thing to do, only because it involves a lot of precise measuring, and math has never been my friend. Once I get into it and I zone out, I finish patterns fast, and I prefer making my own patterns, because the original pattern you create yourself can never be compared with a mass produced pattern.
- What is your favorite local fabric/sewing supply store?
It has to be downtown LA or New York fashion district. I don’t have a favorite because I get inspired in all of them.
- What sewing tool would you recommend to others?
I love a good embroidery machine!
- What is your sewing specialty?
I love to sew by hand!
- Do you sell any of your creations? If so where can people shop your line?
I sure do, people can shop my line on my website.
- Do you showcase your creations at any local shows? If so where?
I showcased during LA Fashion Week and my most recent show was my Holiday Collection in Las Vegas.
- What designers/sewers inspire you? Why?
I love Dior, because of the fit, each drape and pattern they create to make the designs.
- Do you read any sewing books/blogs/magazines? If so what are your favorites?
I watch YouTube videos a lot of how to take an old design and make something new and fun with it.
- What would be your top 3 tips to those who are new to sewing?
Top 3 tips would be, to learn the basics of how to use your machine, don’t do complicated sewing stick to something fun and simple, and just have fun, don’t be afraid of the machine, sewing is all about having fun, so enjoy it!