Gingerbread houses are a delightful holiday tradition and every year constructions of all shapes and sizes appear. It can seem like a daunting task to make a gluten-free gingerbread house, but with a little extra effort you can continue your favorite holiday tradition.
Pre-made kits can be purchased from:
- A & J Bakery in Rhode Island – sells a kit complete with pre-baked pieces of gingerbread, allergen-free candy and non-edible decorations. The kit is free of gluten, peanut, tree nut, soy, egg, sesame and dairy and it is baked in a dedicated nut- and gluten-free facility – $30
- A Bountiful Harvest – sells handmade gingerbread houses.
- El Peto has both gingerbread dough and gingerbread house kits
- Etsy – has a gluten-free and vegan gingerbread house kit for $12.95
- Izzy B’s – sells an allergen-friendly mini gingerbread house kit that contains: 6 gingerbread house pieces (4 walls and 2 roof pieces), Gingerbread props: 2 mini gingerbread men, 1 tree, 1 reindeer, 6 sealed bags of candy and decorations, 1 pastry bag, 1 sealed bag of royal icing powder, and 1 cake board – $24.50
For those of you who would rather make a gingerbread house without spending the money on a pre-made kit there are many options. Use pre-made gluten-free graham crackers (American Gra-Frutti and Kinnikinnick Foods) to construct your own masterpiece. There are also a number of recipes available on the Internet to create your own gingerbread house/gingerbread men:
- Pamela’s Products – has a recipe that uses their bread mix to make Gingerbread Men and they have a recipe with detailed instructions for making a Gingerbread House.
- Jules Gluten Free – sells a gingerbread/graham cracker mix
- Gluten Free Baking – the lovely Elizabeth Barbone has a recipe for Gingerbread Boys
- The Daily Green – has a recipe for making Gingerbread Men
- The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen – has a recipe for Gingerbread Men that was created for the Home for the Holidays…Gluten-free Style event that is being hosted by Shirley over at Gluten-free Easily.
If you don’t want to go to all that trouble, but you are still craving gingerbread, then buy your favorite pre-made gingerbread cookies and use icing and candies to make cookie sandwiches. My favorite gluten-free gingersnaps are made by Glow Gluten Free. Trader Joe’s sells gluten-free gingersnaps, Enjoy Life Foods make gingerbread spice cookies and Sun Flour Baking Company sells gingerbread men cookies.
Whatever you decide to do have fun and create your own gluten-free holiday tradition!