Are you a fan of Greek food? Do you live within driving distance of Mobile, Alabama? If so, you’ll have to visit the area during the first week of November so that you can attend GreekFest. This annual event is held by Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church each year on the first Thursday, Friday and Saturday of November from 11 am until 10 pm on all three days.
There is an amazing selection of authentic Greek fare at the event. You can choose among several complete dinner options that include a main course accompanied by a number of side dishes.
Main course options include:
- Greek chicken,
- Dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves),
- Pastichio (tasty baked macaroni, ground beef, cheese and cream sauce dish)
- Moussaka (decadent baked eggplant, ground beef, feta and béchamel sauce concoction).
Choose one of the above dishes for a regular dinner or two for a super-size plate.
Side dishes served with the Greek dinner plates inlcude:
- Spanakopita (spinach and cheese pie in phyllo),
- Orzo(Greek pasta)
- Grecian-style green beans
- Fresh Greek salad.
Plated dinners, which are served inside the main hall, are not the only option. You can visit outside booths where a variety of other items are available for purchase. Options include:
- Calamari (crispy fried squid)
- Greek Fries (fried potato topped with Greek seasoning)
- Gyros (beef and lamb served on a pita with tzatziki sauce
- Lamb Burger (exactly what it sounds like)
- Souvlakia (Greek shish-k-bob)
You can also enjoy an amazing selection of sweet treats at GreekFest. Options include:
- Baklava Cheese Cake
- Greek Wedding Cookies
- Greek Wedding Cookies
- Loukoumades (sometimes referred to as Greek beignets)
- Many other delicious options
Festival Activities and Entertainment
Even though the food takes center stage for many attendees, there’s more to GreekFest than just enjoying delicious Greek cuisine. Throughout the event, you can enjoy many entertaining activities. Examples include:
- Live Greek music
- Performances by Hellenic dancers
- Vendors with various types of Greek wares including jewelry, clothing, groceries and more
- Children’s play area
- Tours of the Greek Orthodox Church
Check Out GreekFest for Yourself
The popular festival is widely attended and is one of the most popular annual events in Mobile, Alabama. If you’ll be in the area during the first week of November, be sure to save time in your schedule to attend and enjoy a meal (or two!).