During the holidays it is always nice to have a holly in your living room or cute mistletoe above a door. Decorating your home with holiday plants are a beautiful touch adding more festive spirit to your home. However, many holiday plants can be harmful and even fatal to your pets.
Keep plants up where pets can’t chew them or knock them down. If plants are in an area pets can access they can chew and swallow portions of the plant causing vomiting, diarrhea, digestion problems and even death depending on the plant.
Use faux plants on tables and areas of your home that your pets can get to. You will still need to keep an eye on your pets to make sure they don`t chew on it. However, the plant won`t be ruined the first time your pet tries to play with it and it won`t hurt your pet.
The soil used in household plants contains fertilizer and other toxins than your pet could swallow. Any plants that have soil in your home should be placed up in a spot where pets can`t get to it.
Keep an eye on pets to ensure they do not eat plants or the soil they are planted in. If your pet does ingest a plant or the soil call your local veterinary service or animal hospital immediately. The veterinary service or animal hospital will advise you on the proper treatment for the type of plant your pet ingested.
Entirely Pets and About both have lists to help pet owners identify plants that can be toxic to your pets.