It’s wintry cold outside, the fireplace is crackling and the snow seems like a silent barricade, warning us to not venture outdoors on such a blistery day.
Well, the snow can’t win, now can it? The oven is prepped. The will to whip up a delicious and healthy concoction is there. Oatmeal, in all its various flavors—maple & brown sugar, cinnamon, banana nut or plain—beckons us to come hither and experiment.
Well, what do you do? You grab a packet of oatmeal and toss it in the microwave to cook. Voila! A warm, gooey and downright winter delight is within our reach.
Oatmeal is consumer most often in January than during any other month. It is healthy in that it lowers cholesterol and helps consumers stay clear away from heart disease. Oatmeal is an energy food for when you need a boost.
Here are a few tips to create the even-more-perfect oatmeal fix:
· Top your oatmeal with brown sugar
· Toss walnuts and dried fruit (like dates) into your oatmeal
· Heap a spoonful of jam into your bowl of oatmeal
· Squeeze a good dose of honey into your oatmeal—not that your oatmeal isn’t perfect already!
· Throw in sliced banana into your bowl of hot stuff
· Instead of water or milk, substitute chai mix into your oatmeal prior to cooking
· Substitute your favorite juice instead of water prior to heating
· In oatmeal cookies, substitute chocolate-covered raisins instead of plain raisins
Well, the Windy City of Chicago would not be replete without a healthy snow storm or two (or three…or four…) in winter. So the following shops have oatmeal on their minds and oatmeal on their menus. Their goal? To put oatmeal into your bellies. Have a look:
(Breakfast & Brunch, Juice Bars & Smoothies )
4631 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60640
Oatmeal shake anyone?
2458 W Division St
Chicago, IL 60622
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654
Blueberry and blackberry oatmeal served up fast!
Au Bon Pain
University of Chicago Medical Center
5841 S Maryland Ave
Chicago, IL 60637
Oatmeal cookies: Mmmm!