SANTA CLARA, Calif. — San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh understands that there is a very “unique”situation this Thursday as he faces off against the Baltimore Ravens and his brother John.
But it’s not the family connection that’s grabbed his attention, it’s the fact that the Ravens are the next game on the schedule.
“Going against a team, the best team we’ve played this season,” Harbaugh said of the Ravens. “It’s a big challenge; shortness of week is a big challenge there. This week, my brother is someone we’re trying to beat. [It’s] probably a big deal for my parents.”
Harbaugh did understand that this was the first time in NFL history that two brothers would coach against each other as head coaches. Take a step back, it was something Harbaugh said was very considerate of the NFL to have this family-themed game for Thanksgiving.
Looking back at his childhood, Harbaugh felt that his brother John had always taken care of him, “knocking down hurdles” for him to have a better life. They’ve always stuck by each other.
“I’m proud of him,” Jim said of John. “I love him. I’m his biggest supporter.”
Jim Harbaugh did caution that despite the family connection, his focus was on preparing for the game. Because of the short week and the travel to the East Coast, Harbaugh said that the team “drew the short end of the straw” in the situation. He’ll have to make all the right preparations — even potentially doing some coaching while on the flight to Baltimore.
“It happens fast,” Harbaugh said of the turnaround. “Recovery time is so important to football players, especially when you come off physical games like we did, like Baltmore did. It’s a big challenge, no question about it.”
Few other notes
- Harbaugh said that FB Bruce Miller was OK in his eyes after suffering a head injury on Sunday. Said that Miller was fine during the second half.
- The league has not contacted Harbaugh about S Dashon Goldson’s punishment for fighting on Sunday. Harbaugh said that he wanted the team to remember that he is not OK with retaliation. But Harbaugh stated that he does hope the league does catch the offenders in fights, which are sometimes missed by the officials.
- Harbaugh, when asked by the Baltimore media about “Suck for Luck”, he said it was just ridiculous to talk about it.
- He praised RB Ray Rice for being a complete back and also said that LB Patrick Willis can be like Ray Lews — the Willie Mays of linebackers.
- RT Alex Boone can step in for Anthony Davis this Thursday if Davis can’t play.