More Long Island high school students are looking for higher education in their own backyard. Whether it’s due to the economy and personal finances, skyrocketing college costs, uncertainty about field of study or a desire to stay close to home, Long Islanders can enjoy the benefits of a home grown college education.
There are about two dozen public and private colleges on Long Island to choose from offering 4-year Bachelor’s and 2-year Associate’s degrees. There are graduate schools in a variety of disciplines including the arts, business, communications, computer science, criminal justice, education, engineering, foreign language, health, human relations, humanities, law, marine studies, mathematics, medicine, nursing, psychology, sciences, social sciences, social work and technology.
Here are 10 perks for Long Islanders attending a Long Island college:
- Public The 4-year SUNYs (State University of New York) are great quality educational values. Long Island has a state university center, a technology college and a university college. There are also opportunities to earn a degree online or attend the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
- Private More than 15 private colleges can provide a great education on a beautiful and state of the art campus.
- Community College Students preferring to earn a 2-year Associate’s Degree can do so via a SUNY community college on a nearby campus.
- Family Having family and friends nearby provides a close support system while attending college.
- Lower costs Enjoying the comforts of home while commuting to school can save thousands of dollars a year otherwise spent on college room and board.
- Internships Local internships provide real work experience to add to the resume and may lead to a job offer close to home.
- Network Connecting with professors, joining local professional associations and participating in club events can build a network of local contacts.
- Study Abroad Students seeking to broaden their horizons can participate in off-campus and foreign learning experiences.
- Location Close to great beaches and the Big Apple, Long Island colleges are situated near unique recreational, research and business opportunities.
- Stepping stone With a degree from a LI college, many students go on to earn their graduate degrees (MA, MBA, EdD, PhD, JD, MD).
Long Island students can easily check out a local college with a campus visit. Finding the right fit higher educational choice is key and there are many perks for attending a Long Island college.