The season eight finale of 19 Kids and Counting aired tonight on TLC and Michelle Duggar took the opportunity to defend the impending birth of her 20th child and reveal how she plans to address her critics. In addition, the finale showed the reactions of her nineteen children about her latest pregnancy. Jim Bob, Michelle and many of her children also answered other questions from fans and critics during tonight’s season finale of 19 Kids and Counting.
Baby Number 20:
Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar announced Michelle’s pregnancy this morning on the Today Show, but because tonight’s episode was taped, they took the opportunity to delve farther into their big news. The parents of America’s most famous super-sized family didn’t think Michelle could get pregnant again because of her age. However, age wasn’t an issue and Michelle is due in April. She said tonight, “We are all very grateful, thrilled and excited. We’re just grateful beyond words because I couldn’t imagine that God would bless us with another gift.”
Concerning her health issues with baby number 19, Josie Duggar, Michelle said about baby 20, “I would be willing to lay down my life for my child, even one who isn’t here yet. If God sees fit to bless us with another one, then He will ultimately be the one in control.” Because she is feeling regular morning sickness, Michelle feels like the pregnancy is going smoothly so far. Jim Bob added on tonight’s episode of 19 Kids and Counting, “I feel like I’m the richest man in the world!”
19 Kids React to Baby News:
Michelle and Jim Bob told their nineteen children about Michelle’s pregnancy by surprising them with the news during a staged family photo shoot. Holding the camera, Jim Bob said “1-2-3, say momma’s going to have another baby!” The entire family squealed with delight, Michelle Duggar explained, “I think they were all shocked. They really didn’t think it was going to happen again.” Here’s what some of the Duggar children said about baby number 20 news…
- Jana Duggar: “We were hoping and praying that mom would have another little one.”
- Jill Duggar: “We are all so thrilled.”
- Jackson Duggar: “I’m excited because momma’s going to have a baby and that would be cool if it was twins.”
- Jessa Duggar: “I think twenty kids is an amazing number!”
- Jinger Duggar: “I thankful that God has blessed us.”
- Anna Duggar: “We hope to follow them shortly.”
Josie Duggar, the Duggar’s 19th child was born four months early and spent many months in the NICU at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. She is now thriving and Michelle and Jim explained how grateful they feel about her remarkable progress. They also remember those tough months and Jim Bob said on tonight’s finale, “What we went through with Josie was one of the toughest things in our life.” Johanna Duggar summed up their experience by telling viewers, “God answered our prayers and Josie is still alive.” Jackson added, “He heard us.”
The Duggar family also answered questions from fans and critics. Here’s what was revealed about the Duggars during tonight’s season finale of 19 Kids and Counting.
- Groceries for a super-sized family: The Duggars can spend more than $1,300 in one trip to the grocery store. They shop at wholesale clubs to save money.
- Tornado Alley: The Duggars live in Tornado Alley, so Jim Bob has regular tornado drills. When severe weather strikes, the family huddles in an interior laundry room. After seeing the destruction in Joplin, Jim Bob is considering building a safe room in the home.
- Timeouts: Michelle does issue timeouts, but not usually for behavior correction. She said tonight, “I’ll issue a timeout when they’re rowdy and busy and I can tell that they’re getting ready to get into trouble.”
- Bedtime Routine: Bath time in the Duggar household can take up to two hours every night. Bible time starts around 8:30-9:00 each night and then Michelle reads to the children.
- Soundman Jim: Jim Goodwin is a real soundman and the Duggars consider him a part of their family. The kids refer to him as “Uncle Jim.’
- Date nights for Michelle and Jim Bob: Michelle and Jim Bob plan weekly date nights to reconnect with each other after a busy week. “I really look forward to a date with Jim Bob,” Michelle said.
- Family activities: The family doesn’t have a television in the home, so the kids have to entertain themselves. The family plays their favorite sport, broomball, almost every Friday and Saturday night at a local rec center. They also like basketball and volleyball. Jim Bob explained, “There is non-stop entertainment around here. There is never a dull moment.”
- Biggest challenge: The Duggar girls agreed that the biggest challenge of a large family is keeping up with the laundry. The Duggars do more than ten loads each and every day.
- Birthday celebrations: With so many children, how do the Duggars celebrate all those birthdays? Jim Bob answered, “We make it a special day to honor them.” The day starts with a lunch or dinner at the birthday child’s favorite restaurant. Michelle and Jim Bob take him or her shopping for a special gift. They also do a birthday activity, like games or go-carts.
The current season of 19 Kids and Counting is over, but a series of episodes will air starting Sunday, November 13th that chronicle the family’s recent trip abroad. Below are details for the first special.
- Sunday, November 13th at 8/7c (special date and time): “Duggars World Tour.” The Duggars are packing their bags and heading to Europe. First stop, Scotland. Watch as the Duggar clan walk the Royal Mile, visit Edinburgh Castle, and attend the Scottish Highland games. Then it’s off to Ireland for more Irish fun like herding sheep.
Note from the Editor: Thanks for reading this season! Be sure to stay tuned for off-season news, including Amy Duggar’s budding music career. It was my pleasure to sit down this season with Michelle and Jim Duggar, meet their nineteen children, talk to Amy, and share my insights with you. I’m a big fan of this super-sized family and thoroughly enjoy bringing you the latest Duggar doings.
Many thanks to Ann Koehler Photography for the wonderful photographs of the Duggar family.
Do you love the Duggars? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite super-sized family.