It’s that time of year when all those “Best Of” lists start coming out. As the National Girl Gamer, the need to share the 2011 top video games was strong. Especially since it is time to start thinking about Christmas gifts for the gamer in the family and what games they may not have played yet. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of those games that both excites and disturbs a gamer. A sci-fi RPG that combines several types of gameplay: Stealth, Hacking, Combat, and Social skills merge to create a game for all gamers. This should be in your stocking come Christmas morning!
You take the role of Adam Jenson, the security head at Sarif Industries Detroit Headquarters, who is injured in an attack aimed at the research facility. Jenson is rebuilt from the ground up with extensive augments creating the base for the gamer to start from. The game really starts when Jenson returns to Sarif Industries to handle a hostage situation…And go!
The amount of detail in this game is amazing. Exciting locations around the world (from Detroit to Panchaea), a fluid storyline based upon your decisions (hence the social aspect), and a brooding, sexy male lead. What more could a Girl Gamer want? Oh, and there’s shopping! Sort of. As you progress through the game you earn experience points to gain Praxis points. They can all be found, infrequently in-game, and you can use them to create your ultimate Adam Jensen. The augmentations fall into seven major categories:
- Cranium: Hacking (Capture 1-5, Camera Domination, Turret Domination, Robot Domination), Hacking Analyze (Detection Feedback, Analyze All Datastores), Hacking Fortify 1-3, Hacking Stealth 1-3, Wayfinder Radar System 1-2, Infolink (Cochlear Implant, Subvocal Communication Implant), Social Enhancer (Emotional Intelligence Enhancer), and Stealth Enhancer (Cones of Vision, Noise Feedback, Last Known Location Marker, Mark and Track 2.0, Mark and Track 3.0)
- Torso: Setinel RX Health System (Cardioverter Defibrillator, Angiogenesis Protein Therapy), Implanted Rebreather (Chemical Resistance, Hyper-Oxygen 1-2), Sarif Series 8 Energy Converter (Base Energy Level, Energy Level Upgrade 1-3, Base Recharge Rate, Recharge Rate Upgrade 1-2), and Typhoon Explosive System (Light Damage Variant and Heavy Damage Variant)
- Arm: Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis (Instant Take-Down, Punch Through Wall, Recoil Compensation 1-2, Move/Throw Heavy Objects, Carrying Capacity 1-3) and Aim Stabilizer (Aiming Motion Control 1-2)
- Eye: Smart Vision (Wall Penetrating Imager) and Retinal Prosthesis (Retinal HUD, Flash Suppressant, Cooldown Timer)
- Back: Icarus Landing System (Descent Velocity Modulator) and Quicksilver Reflex Booster (Multiple Take-Down)
- Skin: Glass-Shield Cloaking System (Base Longevity, Longevity Upgrade 1-2) and Dermal Armor (Damage Reduction 1-3, EMP Shielding)
- Leg: Cybernetic Leg Prosthesis (Jump Enhancement, Sprint Enhancement, Run Silently, Sprint Silently, and Jump/Land Silently)
Depending upon the type of game you wish to play will determine the augments you wish to concentrate on. Don’t spend your Praxis points will nilly!
There is a level of realism that some games don’t even try to reach. For instance, don’t leave your dead bodies in full view of a camera or in the walking path of guards. They will react and sound the alarm making your stealthy self not very stealthy. If you want to achieve the “Ghost” achievement or XP bonus (or the Smooth Operator XP bonus) and spend lots of time skulking about you don’t want to alarm the guards, cameras, computers, robots, or turrets! Also, when you are sneaking about and taking your opponent unawares a swooshing Batman-esque take-down is hilarious!
There is a reason this Girl Gamer didn’t pick up the game on release day. Admittedly it’s a silly reason but the aesthetics of the game are ugly. A perpetual yellow overlays everything. It’s an annoying color scheme. Grays, blues, reds or any other color than putrid yellow will give the futuristic sci-fi mood without looking sickly. When you hack into a room with an occupant, they don’t always react. Those Hengsha hotel denizens just watch you hack into other peoples belongings and go merrily on their way…odd! The biggest drawback, however, is the loading time. You could do brain surgery in the time it takes to load!
Be that as it may, the game graphics are pretty hot, a good story, excellent combat and a honey of a leading man make this a game worthy of a 2011 Top 6 Best of Video Games list. This would make a great Christmas surprise for the gamer in your family!