On December 13, two days before his portentous decision to pull American troops out of Iraq with no residual force, President Obama was asked whether he still agreed with his 2002 assessment that the Iraq campaign was a “dumb war.” This video of the Q & A captures his response, which begins with what has become Obama’s signature caught-with-his-hand-in-the-cookie-jar reaction, where he juts out his lower lip and stares into space before dancing furiously around the question without ever actually answering it.
One assumes he had the same expression on his face this morning when he revealed his intention to ask Congress this week to raise the debt ceiling for the second time in six months.
When the subject of raising the debt limit arose earlier this year, Obama studiously avoided responding to his critics’ reminder that as a senator in 2006 he decried raising America’s debt limit as “a sign of leadership failure.” Instead, he focused on the claim that Ronald Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Reagan succeeded in driving the unemployment rate down to 5.4% during his time in office.
This time the White House will be seeking to increase the government’s borrowing authority by an additional $1.2 trillion. The measure would raise the current debt limit of $15.194 trillion to $16.394 trillion.
As Reuters notes, under the new budget, Congress can vote to block the debt-ceiling extension only by means of a disapproval resolution. Legislators have 15 days within receiving the request to vote down the debt limit increase.
- 60 killed, 150 injured in 14 bombing incidents across Baghdad (Updated)
- Fun fact of the day: Every Dem senator voted against raising debt limit in 2006
- Obama at this morning’s debt crisis presser: It’s all the GOP’s fault
- Solution to the debt crisis: Tap the nation’s “additional income” reserve
- By January 2013, Obama will have added as much debt as all 43 prior presidents
- Al Franken’s hypocritical debt debate “joke” on the Senate floor (Video)
- Fear strikes out: Obama threatens “deep economic crisis”
- Liberal pundit: Obama’s 2008 “hope” message becomes 2012 “fear” message (Video)
- Obama’s autocratic dream (Video)
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at email@example.com or by posting a comment below.