Oklahoma State wrestling, ranked second in the nation, claimed five individual titles and the team championship at the 2011 Reno Tournament of Champions College Invitational Sunday in Reno, Nev.
The Cowboys of Stillwater won the team crown with 166 points on the strength of tournament titlewinners Jon Morrison at 125 pounds, Jordan Oliver at 133, 149-pounder Jamal Parks, Chris Perry at 184, and Blake Rosholt at 197. Oliver also claimed Outstanding Wrestler honors for the event, winning five of his matches with first-period pins.
In second place in the team standings: the University of Wyoming, with 115.5 points. The Cowboys of Laramie had one individual champ, Shane Onufer at 165 pounds.
Oregon State placed third, with Clayton Jack winning the heavyweight title.
Other schools with individual champs included sixth-place Cal Poly (with 141-pound champ Boris Novachkov, and Ryan DesRoches at 174), and Boise State, which placed tenth in the team standings, with George Ivanov winning the 157 title.
Three of the finals matches went beyond the standard seven minutes. Arguably the most exciting — and exhausting — was at 141, when Cal Poly’s Novachkov pinned Oregon State’s Michael Mangrum in the second tiebreaker period after nearly 11 minutes of wrestling. The match had been tied 3-3 at the end of regulation, and knotted at 4-4 at the end of the first tiebreaker.
- 125: Jon Morrison (Oklahoma State) dec Ladd Rupp (Oklahoma State), 4-1
- 133: Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) pinned Zach Zehner (Wyoming), 2:32
- 141: Boris Novachkov (Cal Poly) pinned Michael Mangrum (Oregon State), 10:51 2tb
- 149: Jamal Parks (Oklahoma State) dec. Cole VonOhlen (Air Force), 5-3 SV
- 157: George Ivanov (Boise State) dec. Justin Lister (Binghamton), 5-3
- 165: Shane Onufer (Wyoming) dec. Dallas Bailey (Oklahoma State), 7-4
- 174: Ryan DesRoches (Cal Poly) dec Nick Purdue (Ohio), 6-4
- 184: Chris Perry (Oklahoma State) dec Joe LeBlanc (Wyoming), 3-2 2tb
- 197: Blake Rosholt (Oklahoma State) dec Cale Byers (Oklahoma State), 6-0
- Hwt: Clayton Jack (Oregon State) dec Chad Hanke (Oklahoma State), by med fft
Final Team Standings:
- Oklahoma State 166 points
- Wyoming 115.5
- Oregon State 105
- Binghamton 68.5
- Michigan State 66
- Cal Poly 57.5
- West Virginia 52.5
- Ohio 48
- Air Force 47.5
- Boise State 44.5
Want to know more? For an independent overview of 2011 Reno Tournament of Champions, read TheMat.com’s coverage… then, check out these individual school reports from Oklahoma State… Cal Poly… and Wyoming. To see brackets and photos from Reno TOC, visit John Sachs’ Tech-Fall.com.
The college wrestling season is here! Stay on top of the latest news and more — click the “subscribe” button on this page to be among the first to know… and make sure you don’t miss a single thing all year ’round. It’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter