One challenge for Christian parents is how to take our faith out into the world. This is our mission as Christians: to be Christ to others.
Recently Jerry Galipeau, Associate Publisher at World Library Publications www.wlpmusic.com led a mission at St. Thomas More Catholic Church.
One of the stories Jerry shared is how he uses the gifts of the Holy Spirit in his work environment. These are the management concepts that govern Jerry in his job daily:
- Right Judgement
- Wonder and Awe in God’s Presence
As you look at these gifts, you will realize that they are concepts that can easily be applied to parenting kids of all ages.
- To teach your children to see God in all things
- To know which battles are worth fighting
- To know what your child needs
- To not do for your child what he can do for himself
- That your goal is to raise your children to leave you
- That life phases are just that
- That “this too shall pass”
- How to live the life we are called to live
- To teach your children to do the right thing
- To know the difference between right and wrong
- To know when to talk and when to listen
- To follow God’s rules, not society’s
- To overcome your fears so you can help your children with theirs
- To stand up for good and against evil
- To swim against the tide daily
- Learn your child’s strengths and weaknesses
- Know your child’s interests
- Know yourself
- Know the power of the words, “I love you”
- Respect and rely on God, not yourself
- Be respectful of family members
- Never forget that your children are gifts from God
- Be able to say you’re sorry
Wonder and Awe in God’s Presence
- Always be aware of God’s glory around you
- Appreciate all God has given you
- Teach your children to appreciate the same
- Teach your children that God is everywhere
Parenting isn’t easy and there’s always someone who wants to tell you a better way to be a parent. But who can be a better parent than God?
Trust God to give you all that you need to parent your children using the gifts He already gave you. The gifts of the Holy Spirit will take you through the challenges of parenting.