The St. Paul Pioneer Press, 12-25-11 headlines were “War, Draught, Disaster – And Hope…A sampling of the world’s most striking images of 2011. It is time to wrap up 2011 and look to 2012. As we look back over the past year, do we see the good in our behavior, actions, and kindness in our interactions? Often, we judge ourselves unfairly, focusing on all of our failures or shortcomings.
“Self-talk,” the thoughts we say internally to ourselves, are often very harsh or critical. The manner, in which we talk to ourselves, has a great impact and may determine how our lives will unfold. Our thoughts are very powerful and can create peace, love, and inclusiveness or hate, separation, and discord. Thoughts and words are streams of energy that shape our awareness, reality, happiness, and even determine our future.
A sign on my husband’s door at work reads:
“Have a nice day, unless you have already made other plans”
– Llama Surya Das
At this time of year, when we may decide to loose a few pounds, set resolutions for ourselves, and critique our lives, let us look at our self-talk. Negative self-talk hurts our confidence, is detrimental to our positive energy flow, and actually hurts us, rather than inspiring us to do better. With this in mind, I am writing some suggestions for myself in this public venue, to remind myself (and others), that we are not only unique and special, but we are what we think (create.) Resolutions:
- Stay positive in my self-talk
- My body is as it was created. Love it and keep it healthy.
- We all have great potential; persistence and confidence in my self-talk is key. Many of our great success stories, come after huge bouts of failure. Henry Ford went belly-up several times before succeeding. Abraham Lincoln’s failure rate was huge before he succeeded. The list of people who succeeded after years of failure is long…the commonality is persistence.
- Don’t play it safe….the acorn that stays above ground and does not brave the dark uncertainty of the earth will always remain an acorn.
- Have patience. Gestation of our dreams and growth takes time.
- Have faith.
- Keep an eye on my purpose. Having set goals, stay steadfast on the purpose.
- Don’t judge! Good can be bad. Bad can be good.
- Remain humble. Pride sets us apart and causes separation.
- Nothing dies. That includes our thoughts and dreams….we may change our dreams or our thoughts but thoughts are streams of consciousness, created of energy and energy doesn’t die. Keep our dreams alive.