The headline of this article would seem to be good news for the president, except it uses the same syntactic trick that Odysseus, the hero of Greek mythology, used to blind the cyclops Polyphemus by telling the one-eyed giant his name was “nobody.”
A recently conducted Gallup poll asked, “What man that you have heard or read about, living today in any part of the world, do you admire most? And who is your second choice?” Of the 898 registered voters queried, 17% named Barack Obama, while nearly twice as many answered “None/No opinion.”
The specific percentage who effectively said that “nobody” beats Obama was 32. Coincidentally, that was the number who named him as the person they most admired in December of 2008. How the mighty have fallen.
Somewhat surprisingly, George W. Bush beat out Bill Clinton for third place with 3% after second place finisher Obama. More surprising still is that Donald Trump made the list at all, as did Brad Pitt, Tim Tebow, Rush Limbaugh, and several of the current Republican candidates for president: Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, and Ron Paul. All received 1%. Jimmy Carter, who was the man most admired by 2% of respondents in December of 2010 came away with 0% this time around.
The poll also asked the same question about women. For the second year running, Hillary Clinton topped the list with 17% as opposed to 29% for “None/No opinion.” Oprah Winfrey was in third place with 7% (down from 11% in December, 2010), and Michelle Obama was in fourth, barely edging out the fifth place finisher, Sarah Palin, by a single percentage point. The First Lady was named by 5% of respondents as the woman they most admired to 4% for the former Alaska governor.
- Shock poll: 48% of white blue-collar Dems oppose renominating Obama
- Election 2012: One year and counting; Obama’s chances
- Poll: 1 in 4 Dems want someone other than Obama as their candidate
- Poll: 34% say U.S. would have been better off under President Hillary Clinton
- Poll: More than half of voters do not believe Obama deserves a second term
- Poll: Independents reject Obama’s “jobs bill” 53% to 33%; likability under 50%
- Shock poll: 42% of Americans don’t know year U.S. declared independence
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting a comment below.