May your gardens and landscapes continue to be green and healthy in the New Year!
- Growers Academy – Tuesday nights starting January 24, 2012, from 6 – 9 pm, at the VT Roanoke Center in the Roanoke Higher Education Building, downtown Roanoke. Eight-week learning series offered through VT EarthWorks in partnership with Virginia Cooperative Extension for those interested in farming or plant production as a business. Business management training for land-based businesses is included.
- Registration requested by 17 January with a $215 / person fee.
- Growers’ Academy flyer.
- Register online.
- Registration form to print and mail in with payment.
- Stink bugs bothering you? They are an important consideration in healthy gardens, landscapes and growing farm crops. Here are links to winter reading published by the VA Cooperative Extension Service.
- Field Guide to Stink Bugs.
- Updates On The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug An approximately eight minute video.
Virginia Tech’s Tom Kuhar and Rutgers’ George Hamilton provide the latest information on what growers need to know about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.
- Opportunities to learn about bees and beekeeping.
- Hahn Horticulture Garden at VT. January 11 12:00-1:00 p.m. “So, You Want to be a Beekeeper…” meet at the Peggy Lee Hahn Garden Pavilion. No registration required. Parking passes available at Pavilion for Visitors only. Faculty/Students must park in designated F/S spaces.
Join veteran beekeeper Mark Chorba for an overview of the pleasures and challenges of keeping honey bees in your back yard. There will be an opportunity to sign up for the Beginner’s Beekeeping Course sponsored by the (two day course – Jan 28 and March 31) by the New River River Beekeepers Association.
New River Valley Beekeepers Association presentations “So, You Want to be a Beekeeper…” 7 Jan at 1:00 pm, Blacksburg Library, 200 Miller Street, Blacksburg; 7 Jan at 1:00 pm, Meadowbrook Public Library, 267 Alleghany Spring Road, Shawsville.