According to the Hollywood Life website, Robert Pattinson claims that True Blood and Vampire Diaries are copying Twilight. Here is what the actor who plays Edward Cullen in Twilight had to say
“It’s like that Coke versus Pepsi thing, and how Coke just said ‘There’s a reason everyone compares themselves to us.Twilight’ was the original and everybody’s trying to copy it. They’re all just trying to jump aboard the ‘Twilight’ train.”
But, is he referring to the movies or the book? Well, if he is referring to the movies then he is comparing apples to oranges. Movies to television are so different. I enjoy all of the three but sorry to break it to you but Twilight wasn’t the first vampire movie and it wasn’t the first vampire romance movie either. There were many including the original one – Dracula.
If we are comparing them in regards to the fact that they both were created AFTER Twilight hit the screen then he is incorrect as well. But, looking at dates here is what you will find:
- True Blood- September 7, 2008
- Twilight – November 21, 2008
- Vampire Diaries- September 10, 2009
So, True Blood wins in dates but the dates are so close that the Vampire Diaries was already casting and working on the television show before Twilight actually hit the screen. Production began in mid 2008 for Vampire Diaries. So there was no proof that one began AFTER the Twilight hit the screen.
So, sorry Robert Pattinson- you are wrong.
This is the sort of thing that makes me so upset. People arguing over vampires, movies, shows, etc.. there is nothing original here.. most are already done. Not that one or the other is better or bad.
Looking at the three shows will show a large difference:
- Twilight- young adult Romeo and Juliet movie.. not a traditional vampire story but a good introduction for young teens to enter the vampire world.
- The next step for those teens as they grow older is would be Vampire Diaries. Some romance, some action and lots of vampire mythology in the story
- Then as an adult many will continue loving the vampire and begin to watch True Blood. A sexually charged, very adult bloody vampire show.
So, see they are not copycats only the next step for the modern romantic vampire fans.
And if Robert is comparing the books here are the publication dates:
- Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith- 1991
- Southern Vampire Series (True Blood is based on these) – 2001
- Twilight the series – 2008
But, there is no proof that Vampire Diaries or True Blood are copy cats of Twilight. There was no proof at the time that a movie or television series would do great. Look at all the wonderful television shows that had recently been cancelled- The Gates, Moonlight, and Blood Ties.
But, Robert- we can still love Twilight and all the others… why does there have to be animosity between vampire fans?
Lexington vampire fans can find out more about vampire news, books, and movies by subscribing above.
If you are in Lexington and would like to purchase any of these books or DVD’s please visit the Hamburg Best Buy and Wal Mart or visit here.