The Rumsfeld Foundation, chaired by Mr. Rumsfeld and his wife Joyce, announced the recipients of grants totaling $525,000 on December 19th to organizations who support active duty troops, wounded military veterans and their families and the families of the fallen.
Mr. Rumsfeld has given 100% of the proceeds from his bestselling New York Times book “Known and Unknown” to the foundation to use for the military charities. This exemplifies the true nature of the season and it’s true meaning of giving.
The grants will enable the organizations to continue providing scholarships, outdoor rehabilitative therapy, mentorship and career counseling for the military personnel and their families. They also provide assistance to the troops with items for their daily needs during deployments, the wounded and their caregivers.
Mr. Rumsfeld is noted as saying:
“It is a privilege to donate my proceeds from “Known and Unknown” to such outstanding organizations that do so much to support our troops and their families. We are fortunate to have such dedicated men and women volunteer to serve our country, and there is no question but that their families serve and sacrifice alongside them. America owes them a debt of gratitude we cannot possibly repay, but we can honor their service. These organizations support our service members and their families every day.”
The following is a list of the organizations and the amounts of the grants they have received from the Rumsfeld Foundation’s 2011 for Military Organization who help our troops, their families and caregivers.
- Paws for Patriots- Southeastern Guide Dogs- $60,000
- National Organization on Disability Wounded Warrior Careers Program- $60,000
- Wounded Warrior Project- $30,000
- Navy SEAL Foundation- $30,000
- Rivers of Recovery- $25,000
- Vail Veterans Program- $25,000
- Special Operations Fund- $25,000
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation- $25,000
- Segs4Vets- $20,000
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors- $20,000
- Wall Street Warfighters Foundation- $20,000
- Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans Foundation- $20,000
- Green Beret Foundation- $20,000
- Marine Corps- Law Enforcement Foundation- $20,000
- Families of the Wounded Fund- $15,000
- Homes for Our Troops- $15,000
- The Mission Continues- $15,000
- Luke’s Wings- $10,000
- Operation Home Front- $10,000
- Our Military Kids- $10,000
- ThanksUSA- $10,000
- USA Cares- $10,000
- Fisher House Foundation- $5,000
- HeroBox- $5,000
- Spirit of America- $5,000
- Team River Runner- $5,000
- Travis Manion Foundation- $5,000
- Warriors and Quiet Waters Foundation- $5,000
If you would like any further information on these organizations please click on the organization name above and the hyperlink will take you to their website.
About the Rumsfeld Foundation
The Rumsfeld Foundation, established in 2007, rewards leadership and public service at home and supports the growth of free political and free economic systems abroad. To this end, the foundation has four focus areas: supporting charities that benefit the men and women of the U.S. military and their families, graduate fellowships for students interested in public service, building linkages between young leaders from Central Asia to the United States, and global microfinance.
For more information about the Rumsfeld Foundation, please visit www.rumsfeldfoundation.org or email email@example.com.