Greetings and best wishes to everyone for a very happy and healthy 2012…New Years’ west and east. (Chinese New Year: The Year of the Dragon, begins January 23rd).
2012 is a year of countless soothsayers having something to ‘say’ about doom…and countless ones who will listen. From the past we may tend to fear the future. Fear is a ‘mind-killer.’
Live for now, make the most of this moment…and when tomorrow comes, there is no need to regret yesterday. With mindfulness, wisdom and compassion…there is happiness.
HOLIDAY HIGHLIGHTS (New Year’s Day, January 1st):
- 9:30am, New Year’s Service at Buddhist Church of Sacramento. Location: 2401 Riverside Blvd, Sacramento, 95818. Contact: 916-446-0121. www.buddhistchurch.com Reminder: New Year’s Eve Service, 7:00pm, Saturday, December 31st…afterward traditional ringing of ‘kansho’ bell 108 times.
- 10:00am, New Year’s Service at Buddhist Church of Florin with potluck after. Location: 7235 Pritchard Rd, Sacramento 95828. 916-383-1831. florinbuddhist.org
- 10:00–11:30am, Wish Fullfilling Jewel Medicine Buddha Puja withLion’s Roar Dharma Center. Location: Khandro Ling.Contact: 916-548-7452 email@example.com
- 10:00am-12:00, Bodhi Temple will hold New Year’s Day Service celebrating Buddha’s Enlightenment. Location: 8786 Calvine Rd., Sacramento 95828. 916-689-4493
- 10:00am (English) and 1:30pm (English & Japanese), New Year’s Day Shushoe Services at Koyasan Temple. 1400 U Street, Sacramento, 95818. 916-444-0111. Website: web.me.com/nckoyasan/nckoyasan/Jan_2012.html Reminder: New Year’s Eve Joya Service, December 31st at 5:00pm
- 10:30am – 2:00pm. Blessings for New Year at American Buddhist Seminary, including food offerings to Buddha and monks at temple. Lunch afterward. 1:30 begins community chanting and blessings. Location: 423 Glide Avenue, West Sacramento 95605. Contact: 916-371-8535. www.middleway.net
- 11:00am-2:00pm, Sakyamuni Enlightenment Ceremony at Kim Quang Temple with chanting Sutras, Dharma Talk (in Vietnamese and English), food offerings. Location: 3119 Alta Arden Expressway, Sacramento. Contact: 916-481-8781.
- 1:00pm, Professor Venerable Geshe Phelgye & Father Kwiatkowski will hold a Prayer Service for World Peace at St. Patrick’s Church, 235 Chapel St., Grass Valley. Ven. Geshe Phelgye, earned his Geshe degree and went on to higher studies including a 5 year retreat under supervision of HH Dalai Lama, served 10 years with Parliament for Tibetan Government in exile and teaches at Gonzaga University in Washington. Further information: www.thedharmafriends.com or call 530-210-0352.
- 4:00-5:30pm, Mindful Recovery with Lion’s Roar Dharma Center. This group offers a Buddhist perspective on healing from addiction. The group is open to people suffering from all types of addictions, including substances (alcohol, drugs, food), behaviors, or even thinking! Location: Friend’s Meeting Hall, 890 57th Street, Sacramento 95819. Website: lionsroardharmacenter.org
- 7:00-8:30pm SBMG Retreat Night. Join SBMG for an evening of silent sitting and walking meditation to begin the New Year. Location: B’nai Israel, 3600 Riverside Blvd., Sacramento 95812. www.sbmg.org 916-320-8947 or firstname.lastname@example.org
HOLIDAY HIGHLIGHTS (Asian New Year, January 23rd)
- Saturday, January 7th, 12:00pm, Animal Place Belssing and Tour – Open to the public. Geshe Phelgye will bless the animals at Animal Place. Animal Place is a 600 acre farm animal sanctuary located at 17314 McCourtney Rd., Grass Valley. Information and contact: www.thedharmafriends.com 530-210-0352.
- Sunday, 22nd 3:00pm-11:00pm, Kim Quang Temple, Vietnamese New Year 1st Day Celebration for the Year of the Dragon…3:00pm offering food to Hungry Ghosts; 7:30pm music & performance for Year of the Dragon; 11:00pm celebrating the New Year. Location: 3119 Alta Arden Expressway, Sacramento 95825. Contact: 916-481-8781.
- Monday, 23rd 11:00am -8:00pm, Vietnamese New Year – Year of the Dragon, Kim Quang Temple, including a special ceremony, ringing of the big bell, private prayer time, lion dance, fireworks, lucky envelopes, chanting to pray for world peace and humankind’s happiness…8pm concluding with reciting the Lotus Sutra, 25th Chapter. Location: 3119 Alta Arden Expressway, Sacramento 95825. Contact: 916-481-8781.
- Sunday, January 29th, 10:30am Spring Festival at Kim Quang Temple, including lion dance, fireworks, lucky food and envelopes on a the Hoa Mai/Ochna Integerrima Tree, Vietnamese Food. 3119 Alta Arden Expressway, Sacramento 95825. 916-481-8781
Monday, January 2nd, Wat Sacramento Buddhavanaram. Location: 151 South Ave., Sacramento, CA 95838. Contact for more info: 916-925-1579. www.watsacramento.org
Thursday, January 5th, 7:30pm, One House of Peace, Sit and Discussion will begin at Simple Human located at 700 Alhambra Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95816, and will continue meeting there weekly. Note: Caverly Morgan will facilitate the group on January 5th, continuing with facilitation by seasoned practitioners of One House of Peace each week. www.onehouseofpeace.org Contact: email@example.com
Saturday, January 7th, 9:00a-4:30pm. Practicing the Result, Meditation in the Tibetan Buddhist Tradition hosted by SBMG. Teacher: Dan Jorgensen. Location: Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 2620 Capitol Avenue. $20 through January 3rd; $25 after. Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact: 916-446-5655. Note: Sunday, January 8th, 7:00pm SBMG Sunday Night Practice, will also be lead by Dan Jorgensen. Location: 3600 Riverside Blvd, Sacramento 95818.
Sunday, January 8th, 10:00am, Hoonko/Shotsuki Service with guest speaker, Rinban Bob Oshita of Buddhist Church of Sacramento with New Year’s Party to follow. Location: 7235 Pritchard Rd., Sacramento 95828. 916-383-1831. florinbuddhist.org
Sunday, January 8th, 10:00am-4:00pm, One House of Peace Awareness Practice Workshop: Consciously Setting Intention for the New Year at Simple Human. Sliding Scale donation: $85-$135 (including lunch at Eileen’s Kitchen). Location: 700 Alhambra Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95816 www.onehouseofpeace.org. Contact: email@example.com
Sunday, January 15th, 10:00am – English Monthly Service…11:00am – Buddhist Study Class…1:30pm – Hatsu Daishiku Service…at Koyasan Temple. Located at 1400 U Street, Sacramento 95818. Contact: 916-444-0111 web.me.com/nckoyasan/nckoyasan/Welcome.html
ANNOUNCEMENTS & NOTICES:
Please note Update 1/5/2012…Valley Streams Zen Sangha will not be moving to the new space as planned on January 2nd and January 9th. Therefore the January 9th program is canceled – efforts are being made to begin on January 16th. Contact Valley Streams Zen Sangha for confirmation. For further information and updates: Website: www.valleystreamszen.org. Contact: 916-456-7752 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Good News…Kim Quang Temple now offers English translations in their Dharma Talks on Friday evenings at 7:00pm and Sunday mornings at 11:00am. Location 3119 Alta Arden Expressway, Sacramento. Contact: 916-481-8781
Welcome back Chan Meditation Center – Elk Grove. After a brief hiatus, Sunday Evening Group Meditation will be resuming on January 8th, at 6:30pm, with a continuing weekly schedule. Bodhisattva Path Buddhist Meditation Fellowship is a lay Buddhist Sangha. See website for contact information: www.chancenter-sacramento.org/contact.html
One House of Peace has a new location and Caverly Morgan will be in town and available for private consultations on January 5th and 6th. One House of Peace is open to all. www.onehouseofpeace.org Contact: email@example.com
REGULAR SCHEDULED EVENTS:
Tuesdays at 7:00pm join in the Meditation Sessions at Koyasan Temple. All are welcome. Located at 1400 U Street, Sacramento 95818. 916-444-0111. Website: web.me.com/nckoyasan/nckoyasan/Jan_2012.html
PLEASE NOTE: Events are subject to change and it is recommended that participants confirm dates and times prior to attending any event by visiting the websites and/or direct contact as may be listed.