The State Museum of Pennsylvania is one of 25 historic sites and museums administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission as part of the Pennsylvania Trails of History. The State Museum offers expansive collections interpreting Pennsylvania’s fascinating heritage and today, November 28, 2011; the museum announced its program schedule for December.
- Free Concert: “The Power of Story in Song and Dance,” Saturday, Dec. 10, 11 a.m.–12:30 p.m. This concert will feature Chinese, Bosnian and Liberian master traditional artists associated with “Making it Better: Folk Arts in Pennsylvania Today,” an exhibition on view at The State Museum. The concert is presented in conjunction with the annual gathering of the Pennsylvania Immigrant and Refugee Women’s Network (PAIRWYN) and funded by the Pennsylvania Humanities Council.
- Little Elves Workshop: Parents and grandparents are invited to bring their little ones to The State Museum Store on Friday, Dec. 16, 10 a.m.–2 p.m., to make a special holiday gift while the adults shop in our store. For ages 4-7; $3 per child, State Museum Affiliate members, free.
- 3rd in the Burg: The new State Museum Store will feature special offers for holiday shoppers on Friday, Dec. 16, noon–6 p.m. Visit to find the area’s most creative gifts and imaginative stocking stuffers. Purchases support the educational mission of The State Museum of Pennsylvania. Entrance to the store is always free.
- Fatherhood and Family Holiday Celebration – Celebrating Kwanzaa & Christmas: In partnership with The State Museum, Nathaniel Gadsden’s Writers Wordshop will present its annual festival on Saturday, Dec. 17, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. A community celebration of the family, the event will feature music, food, workshops and much more. Free.
- Noon Year’s Eve: The State Museum welcomes the New Year with its annual Noon Year’s Eve celebration for young children and their families on Thursday, Dec. 29, 10 a.m. to noon. An opportunity for kids to enjoy their own special “ringing in the New Year,” the celebration features playtime, crafts and snacks topped off by the museum’s famous firefly drop in Memorial Hall at noon. This family-friendly event is free with museum admission and for State Museum Affiliate Members.
- Featured Holiday Planetarium Show: “Season of Light” (all ages, 40 minutes). Explore historical, religious, and cultural rituals from around the world that make up our modern holiday celebrations and how the motions of the Sun and Earth at the time of winter solstice impact the festivities. Weekdays: Dec. 21, noon; Dec. 22, 23, 28, 30, 11 a.m. and noon; Dec. 29, 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m. Weekends: Dec. 24 and 31, 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
Holiday Closures: The State Museum will close at 3 p.m. on Saturdays, Dec. 24 and Dec. 31. The museum will be closed all day on Sundays, Dec. 25, and Jan. 1. Administrative offices will be closed on Mondays, Dec. 26 and Jan. 2. For more information about the museum, visit www.statemuseumpa.org.
Click Subscribe to receive notifications when new articles are published! Follow Yvonne P. Mazzulo on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and Google +! Questions about this article or simply want to contact this writer? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2011 Yvonne P. Mazzulo, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a lodeplus.com.