Whether you are still feeling generous thanks to a warm and happy Yuletide season or you are simply looking for an end-of-year tax deduction, we have just the ticket for you: donate to a local animal rescue.
You can make a straightforward monetary donation, or write off the value of any tangible items like blankets and pet food that you donate.
When it comes to animal rescue, two critical needs are universal to all: money and foster homes. Fosters take in pets and give them love, and also teach them, if needed, how to behave properly, walk on a leash, or use a litter box. The rescue pays all expenses. Fostering a homeless animal can be difficult, because you have to let them go when they’re adopted, but you get the pleasure of knowing the pet is going to a great home.
Rescues do not receive tax money to operate. They rely on donations, mainly, because all too often, adoption fees don’t come close to covering the expenses involved. Monetary donations are needed by every rescue and rescuer on our list, as are volunteers.
Below are some of the local rescue groups and rescuers’ special needs to help you choose your gift:
All About Animals – 101 Riverside Drive, Macon, GA 31201; 478-621-5116
- Canned food
- Dry food (adult dog and puppy)
- Cleaning supplies
- Click on this link to make a convenient, online donation to All About Animals via PayPal
Heart of Georgia Humane Society – P.O.Box 7554, Macon, GA 31209;
- Dry and canned food
- Flea and tick preventative
- Heartworm prevention
- Click on this link to make a convenient, online donation to Heart of Georgia Humane Society via PayPal
Greyhounds Galore – 889 Luke Smith Road, Macon, GA 31211; 478-742-0474
- Pedigree complete nutrition and small breed, Moist and meaty food
- Rawhides and chew toys
- Bleach and Clorox Clean Ups
- Paper towels and pee pee pads (for small dogs, Iggies)
- Money directly paid to the veterinarian, Piedmont Animal Hospital, Gray, GA.
- Washing detergent, generic is fine.
- E-mail Jackie for information or to offer donations.
- Visit the group’s homepage for a link to donate online via PayPal.
Macon Purrs N Paws – 326 Harvest Walk, Macon, GA 31210
- Large dog size Advantage to treat the cats every two weeks.
- Canned cat food
- Volunteers to help clean the shelter.
- Donations for Courage’s bill at Dr. Campbell’s office. Call Heart of Georgia Animal Care at (478) 452-0200
- Pedigree dry adult and puppy food.
- Donate directly by clicking on this link for PayPal, then click on SEND MONEY and follow instructions. Enter email@example.com for the payee.
Shane Smith took in the last of the dogs from Pardon Week back in November and is struggling to care for them while they wait to be adopted.
- 6-foot-tall chain-link fencing
- 3 Igloo dog houses
While donations are not tax deductible, they are desperately needed. Contact Shane Smith through his Facebook page.
Monroe County Animal Control – 157 L Cary Bittick Drive, Forsyth, GA; 478-994-7976
- Old towels
- Blankets and sheets
On Borrowed Time is a group of animal lovers on Facebook who work to promote adoption, fostering and rescue of the animal at Macon Animal Control. The group uses monetary donations for sponsorships to help defray the costs for getting a pet from the shelter and to buy food and other necessities the shelter’s budget can’t handle. Since many of these donations may ultimately go to a rescue, they may be tax deductible. Contact the group through their Facebook page.
The group needs:
- Bedding, crates and kennels
- Blankets and towels
- Laundry detergent