Sugar cookie recipes for kids get them in the holiday spirit. This easy sugar cookie recipe along with some cookie decorating ideas offer your kids something to do now that school’s on holiday. A tin of cookies is a thoughtful gift to give grandparents or a favorite neighbor and it encourages your kids to make things for their loved ones, adding a thoughtful touch to their holiday gift-giving.
If you’re in Boise, you’ll find most of the ingredients in bulk for this kid-friendly sugar cookie recipe at Winco on Fairview or on Myrtle.
Stop by my column during the month of December (2012). I’ll be rolling out a free Android Christmas app as my way of saying ‘thank you!’ for reading my column.
Other Boise Food Examiner articles
- Easy dutch oven dessert recipes: How to make baked apples in the dutch oven
- Decorative desserts: How to make an easy cranberry or raspberry coulis sauce
- Easy pecan pie recipe (traditional Christmas desserts)
How to make the easy sugar cookie recipe for kids
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Going slowly, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure that you have no lumps.
- Make small rounded balls of the cookie dough, using a spoon.
- Drop the cookie dough onto baking sheets. You don’t need to grease them.
- Put the cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on a cookie rack and decorate.
Here are some other sugar cookie recipes as well!
- The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Cutouts
- Santa Sugar Cookies Recipe
For the next five days, starting on 12/15/14 running to 12/19/14, my cookbook 20 Quick & Easy Christmas Desserts Inspired by Hansel and Gretel will be free on Kindle. This cookbook combines great recipes with 20 questions about Hansel and Gretel, Les Miserables, and The Hunger Games for your book club plus an excerpt from a novel.