Relieve some holiday stress this weekend with these fun and feel-good fitness events around the Tampa Bay area. Whether you run, walk, paddle or hike, staying active can help keep body and mind in balance during this hectic time of year.
Friday, December 9 – Sunday, December 11
Ice Skating in the Park with Santa
Get the kids to blow off some steam with some skating around an artificial ice rink and a visit with Santa. Santa visits are free. Skating is $5 for 30 minutes. This event continues through December 23.
- When: 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Straub Park (Center) at Beach Drive and Fifth Ave. N.E., St. Petersburg, FL
- Info: (727) 893-7441
Saturday, December 10
Moving Towards a Cure 5K Brain Tumor Awareness Run/Walk
Miles For Hope is holding its second annual Moving Towards a Cure® Brain Tumor 5K Awareness. Walk/Run. Proceeds will fund brain tumor research. Same-day registration opens at 8:00 a.m. Registration for adults is $25 and is free for children under 6.
- When: 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave., Shelter #315, Tampa, FL
- Info: http://www.braintumorevents.org/tampa2011
Brooker Creek Guided Hike
Beautiful Brooker Creek Preserve offers a guided hike along the Education Center Trail. On the 0.75-mile walk, you’ll learn how the land has changed over time and discuss the ecological footprints left by those changes. Be sure to wear sturdy closed-toe shoes and bring water and a hat. All ages are welcome.However, kids under 16 must be accompanied by an adult and those younger than 6 may find the hike challenging. Guides meet participants in the lobby of the Exhibit Hall 10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- When: 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Brooker Creek Preserve Environmental Education Center, 3940 Keystone Road, Tarpon Springs, FL
- Info: http://brookercreekpreserve.eventbrite.com/ , (727) 453-6800
Kayaking at Mote – Full Moon Paddle
Take a break from decking the halls to experience nighttime kayaking on Florida’s coastal waters. You’ll explore the animals that inhabit Sarasota Bay at dusk while you paddle in the moonlight. Participants should be at least 11 years old. Kids under 14 must attend class with an adult. Aquarium members price: $20 per person. Non-members price: $24 per person.
- When: 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium, 1600 Ken Thompson Pkwy.,Sarasota,FL
- Info: http://www.mote.org/index.php?src=gendocs&re…, (941) 388-4441
Sunday, December 11
Oldsmar Jingle Bell 5K Run / 2 Mile Walk
Area businesses have teamed to host this 5K run and 2 mile walk to help make some miracles this Christmas. Wal-Mart, Vibe Fit Club, Dynamic Total Health, Coca-Cola, The City of Oldsmar, Bimbo Bread, Buffalo Wild Wings and Steak and Shake have joined together along with other local business to host a “Race for Miracles.” All proceeds will benefit Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The event also includes a toy drop for Toys for Tots and a canned food drive.
- When: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Where: Oldsmar Wal-Mart, 3801 Tampa Rd., Oldsmar, FL
- Info: http://oldsmarjinglebellrun.eventbrite.com/, http://childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org/
If you like reading about fitness and health, follow me by clicking on “Subscribe to email” for the free RSS feed, or you can come along with me on Twitter. Ask your friends to come along too! For story ideas, questions or more information, leave a comment or your email address.