Thanksgiving, or Turkey Day, is observed on Thursday, November 24, 2011 this year. Being a state and federal holiday means most Americans are wondering if they have the long weekend off. However, Thanksgiving is a tricky holiday this year.
According to ABC NEWS on Wednesday, November 16th, many retailers such as Walmart, Kmart, Toys R Us, and Target, have been accused of requiring employees to work on America’s sacred holiday either in preparation for Black Friday, or due to the store actually opening on Thanksgiving.
In fact, Target employee Anthony Hardwick has about 100,000 signatures on a petition requesting the store do away with their early opening. He says some employees want to spend Thanksgiving with their families, not going to work right after Thanksgiving dinner!
Rhode Islanders want to know these things so they can make plans now. Is there mail delivery on Thanksgiving, is the RI DMV is open, if they can do banking in Rhode Island branches, and almost as important, are stores like Walmart, Kmart, Toys R Us, and Target open on Thanksgiving? Obviously, the answers are all over the board when it comes to this hot topic!
The US Post Office is Closed in Rhode Island on Thanksgiving 2011
Mail Delivery: According to the USPS Post Office, there is No mail delivery on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24, 2011 in Rhode Island, or the rest of the United States. Thanksgiving is a U.S. Postal Holiday, and all U.S Post Offices are closed for business. This includes not only mail delivery to your Rhode Island residence or business, but also local post office lobby hours as well.
United Parcel Service and Federal Express – According to UPS, they recognize Thanksgiving Day, on Thursday, November 24th, and Friday, November 25th as business holidays. Fed X reports they are closed for business on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, November 24th, but are open for business Friday after Thanksgiving, November 25th.
What’s Open and What’s Closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2011
- State, municipal and federal offices are closed on Thanksgiving Day.
- Public schools, private schools, public libraries, and most local day care centers are closed on Thanksgiving.
- Major bank branches are closed on Thanksgiving, however, there may be a few Citizens Bank kiosks open in local Providence, Rhode Island area Stop & Shop supermarkets.
- All Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV) offices will be closed on Thursday, November 24, 2011 to observe Thanksgiving Day.
- RIPTA buses are operating on a holiday schedule for Thanksgiving.
- The Stock Market is closed on Thanksgiving Day.
- Most liquor stores, and supermarkets will be closed, but small convenience stores may be open with holiday limited hours. Most movie theaters are open on Thanksgiving.
- ABC NEWS adds, Toys “R” Us will open at 9:00pm on Thanksgiving night for the first time, the retailer announced on Monday, November 14th.
- Walmart announced earlier this month its stores will open at 10:00pm on Thanksgiving.
- Kmart will be open from 6:00 am till 9:00pm Thanksgiving Day!
- Best Buy, Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Macy’s, Kohl’s and Target will stick to their midnight Thanksgiving store opening. Check your local Providence, Rhode Island area stores
Sources: ABC NEWS; Target.com; timeanddate.com; usps.com; ups.com; fedex.com
Photo: www.morguefile.com; bosela