Culinary speaking, it’s the middle of one of the best times of the year — white truffle season!
Truffles, or “tartufi” are rich-flavored mushrooms that appear in early autumn, typically October through December. The most prized are the white truffles, which have an irregular round shape, smooth exterior, and typically are double the size of the black truffle. Their strong smell has often been described as a blend of garlic, mushrooms, and aged Parmesan cheese.
Alba, in northern Italy, is the region most revered for its supply of white truffles, some of which can command staggering prices at auctions. A number of the prized truffles are sold to hotels and restaurateurs in Asia who prepare grand menus this time of year to showcase this culinary delicacy.
One of these is the 5-star luxury hotel, The Sukhothai Bangkok, who is offering guests a chance to sample an entire menu of items featuring white alba truffles.
La Scala will offer the ultimate in white truffle experiences at both lunch and dinner from December 2 through December 23, 2011.
See photos of La Scala and the 2011 White Alba Truffle Menu
Italian Master Chef, Maurizio Menconi, is preparing an a la carte menu that showcases the distinct flavors and characteristics of the white Alba truffles. Menu items include:
- Creamed Winter Chards Soup with “Paolo Parisi” Organic Egg, Parmesan Crisp and Truffle Croutons
- Prime Carnaroli Risotto with Toma Piemontese and Melted Leek
- Forty Duck Egg Yolks Tajarin Pasta with 24 months aged Parmesan Fondue
- Seared Hokkaido Scallops with Celeriac-Truffle Flan and Champignon de Paris & Chestnuts
- Slow Roasted Grey Guinea Fowl with Artichokes, Sesame Sauteed Spinach, Black Winter Trufle Sauce and Shaved White Truffle
- Chilled Tapioca Milk Soup with White Truffle Ice Cream, Butternut Squash Parfait with Sablee Breton and Peppered Araguani Chocolate and Black Truffle Warm Tortino
La Scala is open daily for lunch from noon until 3pm and for dinner at 6:30pm until 11pm. For reservations and more information, please call 66 (0) 2344-8888, email email@example.com, or visit The Sukhothai Bangkok’s website.
To keep up with culinary travel news and special events, please subscribe (by email or RSS feed) and connect with me:
- Facebook: Our Tasty Travels
- Twitter @OurTastyTravels
- Blog Our Tasty Travels
To keep up on other travel, please check out my International, Islands, Belize, and Luxury Hotels travel columns.