2011 was a great year for new music. Tried and true metal bands and some relatively newcomers to the scene offered us some tantalizing treats, making our mouths water for release dates and making eardrums everywhere hungry for more and more. I feel strongly that metal music took a turn this year for the better. Not to say that I didn’t enjoy the previous albums from prior years, Lord knows I am a connoisseur of the classic, but this year’s plethora of new and experimental recording expanded the norm. I don’t think that the bands sought to out-do each other per se, but it could be believed that this were the case since each album release was just that good. It was hard to narrow it down to only the top twelve, but the albums I selected were chosen because they stood out for one reason or another. So without further ado, here are what I believe to be the best of the best albums for 2011.
12) Opeth: Heritage – Released on 9/20 – Roadrunner Records
11) August Burns Red: Leveler – Released on 6/21 – Solid State Records
10) Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All – Released on 1/25 – Willowtip Records
9) All Shall Perish: This is Where it Ends – Released on 7/26 – Nuclear Blast Records
8) Winds of Plague: Against the World – Released on 4/19 – Century Media Records
7) Vanna: And They Came Baring Bones – Released on 6/21 – Artery Recordings
6) Times of Grace: The Hymn of a Broken Man – Released on 1/18 – Roadrunner Records
5) Megadeth: TH1RT3EN – Released on 11/1 – Roadrunner Records
4) Machine Head: Unto the Locust – Released on 9/27 – Roadrunner Records
3) Trivium: In Waves – Released on 8/2 – Roadrunner Records
2) Mastadon: The Hunter – Released on 9/27 – Reprise Records
*** a hush falls over the audience as the over-cologned man in the tux and slicked back hair passes the envelope to the host ***
And my number one choice for 2011 Metal Album of the year goes to…
1) Five Finger Death Punch: American Capitalist – Released on 10/11 – Prospect Park Records
I anticipate that 2012 will bring even more insanely good music and am looking forward to going to and writing about tours promoting all of these albums and the new releases for next year. Stay tuned for the coverage!
Cheers – Don’t Drink & Drive on New Years!
Disclaimer: This is my opinion. You may have a different one. I based this off what I like and listen to. If you know of a kickass band not mentioned here who came out with an album this year, definitely let me know about them. Otherwise, let’s agree to disagree shall we?