Theatre Chat Announces The Top Ten Best Most Prolific Choreogaphers in the USA. Some of the “Top Ten Choreographers” are known for Broadway productions, winning mutliple Tony Awards, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle awards.
Most all of the “TOP TEN” are not only choreographers but also acclaimed SDC directors. As Broadway and musical theatre now demand director/choreographers to mount the productions seamlessly, melting together the dance movements and strory telling through the use of choreography and enhancing the plot of the scene to create compelling works of art.
Some of the “Top Ten Choreographers” have Olivier Awards, Astaire Awards and numerous regional theatre awards and nominations like the prestigious Chicago Jeff Awards, Carbonell Awards and Arizoni Awards, just a few of the awards that are resepected in the industry nationally and internationally that give similar status as a Tony Award. These awards are given in variuos states locally to choreographers who have choreographed shows locally with outstanding production standards.
All of these choreographers should have 2012 Broadway shows and could win a Tony Award in the near future. So keep your eyes and ears open. If any of these choreographers offer a workshop, dance class, open call to audition for their next production or better yet, if you see a show with thier name listed as the choreographer you as an artists and theatre lover should attend and support these extremely talented leaders in our arts community.
Some have not for profits like Choreographer Ron Hucthins CEO of Destined to Dance who has donated hundrends of dance shoes to arts programs and children who need dance tools to develop their talents. The shoes have been donated through Donate Dance Shoes program and Destined to Dance group on facebook. The dance shoe donation program was inspired by the passing of a fellow Chicago performer Joe Killilea (The Joe Killilea Dance Shoe Fund). If you can’t send dance shoes direct to Destined to Dance they ask you to donate dance shoes to your local arts program.
THEATRE CHAT’S 2012 TOP TEN CHOREOGRAPHERS:
- Wayne Cilento:(Tony Awards® The Who’s Tommy, Tony Awards® nominee Wicked)
- Susan Stroman: (five Tony Awards® The Producers, Crazy For You, Contact, Oklahoma!, Tony Awards® nominee Scottsboro Boys)
- Ron Hutchins: (Carbonell Award® Five Guys Named Moe, Chicago Jeff Award® nominee A Funny Thing happened on Way to the Forum, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cappie Awards® mutiple, Arizoni Award® nominee)
- Rob Ashford: (Emmy® Award, Tony Award® , seven-time Tony Award® nominee, five-time Olivier Award® nominee) Tony Award® nominee Best Choreography How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
- Dan Mojica: (Associate Choreographer Broadway’s Beauty and the Beast, Victor Victoria (1st National Tour), Cabaret w/ Sam Harris, Hello, Dolly! w/ Jo Anne Worley, Little Me w/ Rich Little just to name a few.
- Patti Colombo: (Emmy® nominee, American Choreographers Award for Peter Pan.)
- Marguerite Derricks: (Astaire Award nominee Wonderland, NAACP Award for Best Choreography for Sister Act the Musical at the Pasadena Playhouse, Astaire Award -film Fame, Best Dance on four MTV Movie Awards.
- Rob Marshall: Six-time Tony Award® nominee, Academy Award® nominee, Golden Globe® nominee and four-time Emmy® winner.
- Graciela Daniele: Tony Award® (Ragtime), Tony Award® for Best Direction of a Musical (Once on This Island).
- Ronald K. Brown (Porgy and Bess). Formed Evidence Dance Company in 1985 at age 19. Ronald has reated works for Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble, Philadanco, and the Alvin Ailey.
Some are member of SDC, Society of Director’s and Choreographers Union, SAG, AEA, AFTRA, and AGVA. As arts lovers or theatre-goers please educate yourself on Unions that support professionals in the industry. They protect the artists, producer and the production value. This is the reason why any theatre-goer should support these Unions that offer Health Benefits and much more to talented artist that inspire us on stage with their powerful works.
Theatre Chat’s “TOP TEN” list are made to make creditable arts communities aware. As our youth say give a “SHOUT OUT” and see works by talented choreographers that have outstanding works nationally and internationally. Their talents may not have had the chance to grace your local stage or to inspire you yet. But their incredible work ethic should be noted to those in your arts community making decisions to hire Union professionals, introducing their amazing choreographed works to your stage, local regional theatre or arts program.
The TOP TEN list does not take away from the outstanding talents from fellow artists and choreographers like Kathleen Marshall -(Anything Goes), Jerry Mitchell – Catch Me if You Can, Casey Nicholaw (Book of Morman), Mitzi Hamilton ( Jeff Award Sweet Charity at Drury Lane Oakbrook) (Toby Sedgwick (Warhorse, Anthony Van Laast (Sister Act), Danny Mefford (Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson), Tommy Tune (The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas), George Faison (The Wiz). THEATER CHAT honors our pioneers of dance who set the bar and standards for todays list of extremely gifted choreographers: Jerome Robbins, Martha Graham, Bob Fosse, Agnes de Mille, Michael Kidd and Michael Bennett again just to name a few...
Richard Cameron of Theatre Chat ask all our readers to consider a gift from your local live theatre. “Celebrate the Holidays by giving back to the Arts.” Cameron’s articles have featured conversations with Tony Award winning Producer Stewart Lane, Emmy Award winning Casting Director Jeff Greenberg, multiple Broadway and TV stars and creative teams bringing arts lovers together around the world for the largest social media arts movement. Tag you’re it! Subscribe and share with your arts community.