Sales success calls for the right mix of mindset, heart and skills. What are the solid six figure income earners doing and how can you join their ranks? Exam your own qualities and see how you match up! Top performers (are):
- Persistent. Calvin Coolidge remarked, “Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. . .” In an environment where sales cycles are more complex, persistence pays. The successful salesperson remains diligently engaged so she can take advantage of opportunities internal or external to her prospects. So learn techniques to stay involved with your prospects despite a present reluctance to do business.
- Expert listeners. They ask quality questions to thoroughly understand the client’s organization and priorities. By learning questioning techniques to fully grasp a customer’s pain points you, too, can craft solutions that provide value.
- Don’t rely on price. They aren’t vulnerable and always playing defense to retain their accounts. Establishing clear value gives a solid position in spite of “better deals”. Discover how to create customer value for a relationship that transcends pricing.
- Maximize selling time. When asked, most salespeople rank “more selling time” over a need for leads. Skillful salespeople avoid the time sinks that distract from direct contact with quality leads and customers. So develop plans for managing your time, territory and administrative tasks.
- Relationship versus transaction based. Talented salespeople sell “past the sale” by becoming trusted advisors who craft valuable solutions, not just reps pushing product. You, too, can acquire methods that forge relationships yielding long term, repeat business.
- Accountable for results. Winning salespeople spend energy on that which is under their direct control. So improve self-management to be totally reliable for reaching your goals — in spite of external factors.
- Passionate. Passion stems from a sincere love of industry and product. It’s the source of motivation and goes hand in hand with success. If your heart isn’t into it, consider making a change to an industry or product that truly excites you.
- Goal orientated. Great salespeople visualize the end result – and go for it. Learn how to craft solid plans for achieving your goals. “Plan your work and work your plan” to get what you want.
- Enthusiastic about the sales process. Mindset is as important as skillset when it comes to selling. Discover ways to get motivated and excited. With eagerness comes energy that is critical for enduring long hours and overcoming reluctance. Motivated salespeople remember that with hard work comes much reward.
- Resourceful. Top performers don’t need to have all the answers — but they know where to find them. Explore ways to be creative when up against obstacles and think beyond the obvious answers. Learn to network with others in your company who know more than you do.
There is indeed a tried and true recipe to sales success. It’s not, as they say, rocket science. But it does take a commitment to develop the right attitude and skills. Commit to do as the top performers and you, too, can become a wildly successful sales star!