Veterans Day, also known as Armistice Day, is observed on Friday, November 11, 2011 this year. Being a state and federal holiday means Americans are already asking if they have the long weekend off.
They want to know, is there mail delivery on Veterans Day, if the RI DMV is open, if they can do banking in Rhode Island branches, and almost as important, is Walmart open on Veterans Day? The answers to the questions are as varied as our Nation’s holidays themselves.
The US Post Office is Closed in Rhode Island on Veterans Day 2011
Mail Delivery: According to the USPS Post Office, there is No mail delivery on Veterans Day, Friday, November 11, 2011 in Rhode Island, or the rest of the United States for that matter. Veterans Day is a U.S. Postal Holiday, and all U.S Post Offices are closed for business. This includes not only mail delivery to your Rhode Island residence or business, but also local post office lobby hours as well.
What’s Closed on Veterans Day 2011
- State, municipal and federal offices are closed on Veterans Day.
- Public schools, most private schools, and public libraries are closed on Veterans Day. Check local day care centers for closures before dropping your kids off.
- Major bank branches are closed on Veterans Day, however, there may be a few Citizens Bank kiosks open in local Providence, Rhode Island area Stop & Shop supermarkets.
- All Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV) offices will be closed on Friday, November 11, 2011 to observe Veterans Day.
- RIPTA buses are operating on a holiday schedule for Veterans Day.
What’s Open on Veterans Day, November 11, 2011
- Is Walmart open on Veterans Day? YES! All major retailers in the Providence, Rhode Island area look forward to this holiday as they continue with their early Black Friday holiday sales.
- Liquor stores, supermarkets, and most movie theaters are all open on Veterans Day. Check some of the local businesses before planning your outings. While not obligated to stay open, private businesses can choose whether to be open or not.
- Surprisingly, the Stock Market was open for business on Veterans Day 2010.
Other Delivery Services – According to UPS, they report that they recognize, but do not observe Veterans Day, Friday, November 11th as a business holiday. Federal Express and other smaller companies are open on Veterans Day as well, but check first just to be sure.
Sources: timeanddate.com; usps.com; ups.com
Photo: Veterans Day 2011: No mail delivery on Friday, November 11, 2011. Credit: Getty Images