Okay, so that was sort of a rhetorical question. I mean you want the flawless skin, a perfect body and flowing perfectly undone hair we see on any given VS model–and believe it is all very natural, right.
Well, not exactly. Because while these models are certainly gorgeous, they are not as perfect as you might think. They, too, have puffy eyes, dull skin, and bad hair days and, yes, even blemishes, just like the rest of us. That is where Colleen Creighton and Pasquale Ferrante–the beauty and hair geniuses behind many a Victoria’s Secret and Victoria’s Secret PINK look–come in.
We went behind the scenes at a Victoria’s Secret PINK shoot in Miami, courtesy of Alison Brod PR, to find out all the secrets that go into looking like a VS model straight from the source. Read on to find out how you can get the look, with tips from Creighton, Ferrante and some of the models themselves!
The Rest (from the Models themselves!)
1. Confidence. Think parading around in your bikini in front of dozens (hundreds), (thousands) of people is easy (even for these models)? Not a chance. While they might look perfect to us, even stunning models Behati Prinsloo, Elsa Hosk and Chanel Iman admit to having insecurities about their body–but they all say that feeling confident in your bikini is essential to looking good on the runway–and off of it. So how do they do it? For Chanel, beating insecurities is about “surrounding [herself] with positive, uplifting people,” while Elsa says she will call a friend to “get back on the right track.” Behati tries to “block it out. I try to stop thinking that [I’m] not good enough or whatever, because [I’m] never going to get [the job] done if I don’t believe in [myself.]”
2. Be natural.Chanel Iman says that scoring a catalogue-worthy bikini beach photo is about being “as natural as possible in front of the camera. Just be confident with who you are. The photographer captures the most amazing images of you when you’re not trying, when you’re just natural.”
3. Pick a healthy diet that works for you.After reading about all the different (sort of-crazy) diet methods the Angels used to get runway-ready for the Victoria’s Secret fashionshow, it is clear that no diet is one-size-fits-all. “If you have to go on a diet you have to change it to fit your own body and your own health,” says Behati, who tried a detoxify diet before the Victoria’s Secret fashion show, but modified it to include “things that you weren’t supposed to eat but that I felt my body needed.” She says diets are particularly tricky for models because, under normal circumstances, they really should not be dieting or losing weight. “You can’t always follow the diet because you lose too much weight and you mess up your whole system,” she said.
4. Eat smart.Even though not all of them watch their weight (Chanel Iman says she has to try to gain weight before the show), each of the models stress the importance of eating nutritious good-for-you foods that not only keep you trim, but help your skin tone, and your confidence level. “What you need to focus on is just being healthy,” Behati says. “Maybe cut out sugar, because too much sugar is bad for you, cut out sodas and fast food. Try eating mostly grilled meat, vegetables and skip dessert.”
5. Exercise.Exercising is for not only a healthy body but also a healthy mind. Behati, who says she swears by Pilates, “If I don’t feel comfortable [about my body] then I do something about it. I will go to the gym more and I will feel better. If I can change something to make myself feel better, I will do it. But you can’t always change everything so you have to accept yourself also.” For Elsa, it is all about butt lifts,while Chanel Iman says that she has to lift weights repeatedly to bulk up. “I worked out two hours a day for two weeks before the show,” she told us. “For me, gaining weight doesn’t happen overnight. I have to really work at it.”