With the holidays upon us already, it is time to start reflecting on this past year and look ahead to the new year. As this time comes, we start to evaluate the place we are currently at with our career, sport, family, friends, relationships and more.
Many people become depressed during the holiday months because they have not reached the goals set from the previous year. To help keep yourself from falling into this “holiday hump,” start on the path to your goals now.
Now that you’ve made the decision to list your goals, how do you get yourself from Point A to B? Here are some simple and easy ways you can start the new year with momentum:
1. IDENTIFY YOUR GOAL: What is it that you would like to accomplish? Do you want to lose weight, get faster, make more money, buy a house or car, have kids? Make a list of the things most important to you for this upcoming year.
2. MAKE A PLAN: What are you going to do? What measurable steps will you take to reach your goal? What type of support will you need? What changes will you need to make? This is a very important step, because without action you will stay right where you are and that is NOT where your goal is. Creating your plan helps you to consciously understand how you can get to your goal.
3. MAKE A TIMELINE: Use your action plan to help you measure the progress you are making on your goals. Set monthly and weekly tasks, that will take you to the place you want to be week by week and month by month. Break down your large goal into smaller, more achievable steps and check your progress as often as needed to keep a constant forward movement towards your end goal.
4. GET SUPPORT: Reach out to your friends and family to help get support and encouragement along the way. Sharing your goal and plan with others help to keep you more accountable as well as more motivated to continue on. Look for a goal buddy, someone who will keep you accountable and check in with you regarding your plan’s progress.
5. PUT YOUR PLAN INTO ACTION: All the planning in the world will not help you to reach your goal, if you do not put in the work to make it happen. Make the choice to reach your goals starting NOW and get to work!
To help support those looking to start working towards a healthier life, a “Jump Start the New Year Fitness and Weight Loss Challenge” has been created. The challenge starts on December first, and it is completely free to participate. The weight loss winner will receive $250 and the lean muscle winner will receive $75. Not only will the challenge provide a cash prize, but you will also receive the one on one support of a knowledgeable health coach, ready to get you to your goals.
In addition, you will have resources, recipes, products, tools and information at your fingertips to help you through the holidays and take you well into January.
Take the time to start on your goal before the new year begins, by emailing Laurel.HealthyLife@gmail.com for more information on participating in this amazing opportunity. Be sure to get signed up as soon as possible, as the challenge closes to new participants on Friday, December 2nd.