I have adapted this recipe, one of my absolute favorites, to make in the slow cooker. Delicious!
To find everything needed to make this soup, shop your local Meijer.
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro plus additional for serving
- 2 fresh limes, divided
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- fresh fried tortilla strips
- In a large frying pan on medium high heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add chicken. Cook til nice and brown on both sides. Stir in onions and cook til softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, chicken broth and tomatoes. Check for seasoning and adjust as desired. Pour mixture into slow cooker. Cook on high 3 hours.
- Remove chicken thighs carefully. Set aside to shred and remove bones, fat and gristle.
- Add the cilantro, juice from 1 lime and shredded chicken; cook another hour.
- Serve soup topped with fresh lime juice, cheese, avocado, and tortilla strips.