Last year, Lynn Flinn of EWF International in Tulsa, OK wrote the following in her business’ newsletter. Her year-end recommendations and suggestions for leaders and entrepreneurs still apply.
In Flinn’s words she recommends that leaders and entrepreneurs:
• Do something that you are afraid to do. Run through the fear rather than running away from it.
• Take a personal risk. Tell someone something you’ve always wished you’d said to them.
• Write a note to someone who inspires you but probably doesn’t know it.
• Pick one characteristic about yourself that you’d like to change and earnestly work on changing it. It is really hard to change a behavior, but it is possible if you are aware, patient and persistent in making a change.
• Realize when you are not engaged and re-engage. Turn off the cell phone and pay attention to the people around you.
• Smile and talk to strangers that you meet. It is amazing how much shorter a long line feels when you are talking to someone versus focusing on how long the line is.
• Do something meaningful for a non-profit organization. Volunteers are the lifeblood of non-profit organizations. If everyone volunteers a few hours a week, think how much non-profits can accomplish.
• Don’t get stuck in the same old routine. Shake it up and do something different. Something as simple as taking a different route to work or going someplace new for lunch makes life a little more interesting.
EWF International provides professionally facilitated peer advisory groups for women business owners and executives.